Suggest a Video Light for Canon XH A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 4th, 2011, 08:14 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Suggest a Video Light for Canon XH A1

Based on the colour temperature, which type of video light is highly recommended for Canon XH A1. I have noticed that tungsten light gives a very reddish or orange view specially in low-lighting scenes. Do you think that day-light, or even more, fluorescent light can achieve better results?
Haitham Lawati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 12:45 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Suggest a Video Light for Canon XH A1

Any Reply...
Old March 4th, 2011, 02:44 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Have you seen this thread?
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh...ht-anyone.html
Don Xaliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 02:53 PM   #4
Regular Crew

If you're talking about on-camera light, I would suggest a dimmable LED panel.

There are some panels that have adjustable color temp built in, and those that don't ususally include filters to adjust from daylight to tungsten.

As far as studio lighting, I recently made the switch to daylight balanced flourescent lighting. I'm very happy with it.

That's my two cents.
Old March 4th, 2011, 03:33 PM   #5
Regular Crew

How about Lowel i-Light or PAG Light?
Old March 4th, 2011, 08:49 PM   #6
Trustee

I used the predecessor of this light with a small Bescor gel-cell battery for news gathering with good success. The accessory kit comes with a tungsten conversion filter, the standard color is approximately daylight. There is room in the filter holder for a diffusion filter, good for close-in interviews....http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/605662-REG/IDX_X5_LITE_X5_Lite_LED_On_Camera.html
One feature I liked was that the base is a quick-release, so you can leave the base on the camera accessory shoe and easily remove the light when it isn't needed.
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2011, 06:13 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Two issues:
1) This is an LED light. How do you compare LED with tungsten or daylight gas-filled bulb in terms of power which is measured in Watts? If this LED gives 50W, as mentioned in bhphotovideo, how much watts of energy for the tungsten may give an equivalent illumination of 50W LED.
2) How does this LED operate? Is there any external battery that has to be mounted on the camera or at least carried in the pocket?
Old March 5th, 2011, 09:34 AM   #8
New Boot

CN 126 led light. google it
Christopher Icha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2011, 08:05 PM   #9
Major Player

I too stumble with this question. I currently have a lite panel Micro and would like something a lil more powerful

FWIW a couple of the news people here in Madison have been using Zylight on thier XH at the protests. I have been kind of looking for a lite for my GL2 as well, but want to make sure that it will be suitable for my GL2 replacement (been thinking XHA1 or XA10)
Old March 6th, 2011, 01:54 PM   #10
Major Player

I like this one:

Comer CM-LBPS1800 On-Camera LED Light | L.A. Color Online
Old March 10th, 2011, 12:00 AM   #11
Inner Circle

I have XH-A1. I used to have Canon VL-10. It's just an outdated light. Then I tried LitePanel Micro, SWIT S2010, then Comer 900 and Comer 1800. I'm now using only the Comer 1800 light. Here's the comparison video I did a while back.

and some more videos with Comer 1800

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPSkJr02hG4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFMPOomf5eM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81OlZFBJoeE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhvxJl53M3E
Old March 11th, 2011, 09:03 AM   #12
Major Player

Some very useful videos there, thanks for putting them together.
Old March 11th, 2011, 12:40 PM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haitham Lawati View Post
Two issues:
1) This is an LED light. How do you compare LED with tungsten or daylight gas-filled bulb in terms of power which is measured in Watts? If this LED gives 50W, as mentioned in bhphotovideo, how much watts of energy for the tungsten may give an equivalent illumination of 50W LED.
2) How does this LED operate? Is there any external battery that has to be mounted on the camera or at least carried in the pocket?
Sorry to be tardy replying. Incandesent lights are less efficent than LED's as 90% of the watts is dissapated as heat. The IDX light I used produced lumens equal to a 50 watt incandesent light on 11 watts of battery consumption. I once lighted a city bus from across a wide street with this light and some + sensitivity on the XHA1....this partiuclar LED takes an external battery pack, I used a very light gel-cell battery with a shoulder strap. Some LED's use on-board rechargable batteries, some use standard Sony or Canon camera batteries. IMHO these add unwanted weight to the camera -- they're hard enough to hand-hold as it is---and the IDX adds very little weight by using the external battery. Of course, you have a cable to contend with, but I did not find it a problem.
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2011, 05:18 PM   #14
New Boot

I have both Comer 900 and Comer 1800. dependable, battery lasts a long time, and the 1800's switch is a knob that can turn to brighten from low to high. nice!
Nancy Fleming is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders