Trading JVC HD-110u for Canon XHA1 Questions. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old October 14th, 2009, 01:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Trading JVC HD-110u for Canon XHA1 Questions.

I am possibly going to be trading my JVC HD-110u for a XHA1, and i wanted to see if anyone has any comparison of the two camera?

I am planing on shooting nature, and events primarily.

I am attracted by the smaller size of the XHA1, I bought the HD-110u when I was shooting ENG style and now feel limited because of the large size camera.

I plan to travel and want to be able to bring the video camera with me and shoot more handheld, possibly even shoot from a snowboard on occasion.

The HD-110u has 24P, how does theXHA1 24F work? Do I need to de-interlace after import, or is it import and edit?

Does this seem like a fair trade?

Is there anything else I should take into consideration?

Thanks!
Max Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 05:25 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I know a guy with the 110u and he's worked with my A1. I understand your reasons for swapping and the only thing I can see is you'll notice a drop in picture quality.

How much I don't know, but I'd say if you work with the custom presets that are available and get to know the A1, and in post, you'll be happy. I'd opt for the A1s and get one with the revised hand strap supports. You can read about them in the forum here.

mmmm from a snowboard, that'd be a worry for me mate.

Cheers.
Old October 14th, 2009, 06:13 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I think I should head over to samys camera and play around on one to get the feel for it.

I am having mixed feelings, but the camera has been siting in its case for almost a year. I would much rather have a camera I can use more often.

What is the editing workflow like on the XHA1? I am using Final Cut Pro.
Old October 15th, 2009, 11:06 AM   #4
Trustee

24F and 30F are identical to 24p and 30p.

The F is due to the fact that the Canon cames take the progressive frame off interlaced CCDs rather than progressive CCDs. After the resulting video is identical for all practical purposes.

The JVC camera is 1280x720 and the Canon is 1440x1080. But both are true progressive video.

The smaller format of the JVC has square pixels. In the larger size, square pixels make the fram 1920x1080, thus the 1440x1080 pixels are rectangular.

However, when editing or working in AfterEffects (for example) you can set the timeline to either 1440 or 1920. I don't use Final Cut, but this is just basic to the format.

I have both cameras, and the XH-A1 is much more useful in a variety of situations. Also, the lens is much better than the stock lens on the 110. The Canon lens is a 20x zoom, goes wider, and it doesn't have all the optical problems of the 16x lens on the JVC camera.

The XH-A1s does have a number of improvements that may or may not be significant to you.

If you use the XH-A1 for snowboarding, look at the Century .6x, .45x fisheye (incorrectly listed by B&H as .3x), and the more expensive .3x fisheye adapters.

The XH-A1 is a solid camera, and it travels well and can be used in just about any situation without a problem.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 01:06 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Jack!

That is the kind of post i have been looking for, very informative.

I just sold my camera to anther member on the board, and i will be looking for the XHA1s.

The 6 pin firewire, focus zoom on the XHA1s are a reason enough to get the s.

How long do you find the batteries last? Would one spare battery get me though a day or would i need 2-3 extra?

Thanks!
Old October 15th, 2009, 02:51 PM   #6
Trustee

You me get along with the original battery and one addition of the larger ones. I have this battery, the maximum size that fits the camera:
Pearstone | BP-970 Lithium-Ion Battery Pack | BP-970 | B&H Photo

Here is the official Canon version of the 970, at $144.95. I don't know if this would outlast the 3rd party versions or not.

If you are doing a lot of shooting during the day, you might need a couple of the large batteries, but I don't know for sure. I only use the camera a few hours at a time.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2009, 04:02 AM   #7
Trustee

If you are running the cam for the whole day (not including evening), you would need the original battery plus 1 or 2 BP-970, and of course, 1 spare! Variables are how much you use the LCD panel, how often the tape is running, and the condition of the batteries.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2009, 05:39 AM   #8
Trustee

Your handheld shots will be steadier with the JVC shouldered. The Canon is much smaller and less steady doing handheld work.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders