Question about resale value at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 27th, 2009, 07:25 PM   #1
Major Player

Question about resale value

I have an XHA1 that is one year old. I will have it "checked-out" by canon repairs and then put it up for sale. How much should I ask for it? More or less than $2,000?

Thanks,
-Steve
Old May 27th, 2009, 08:03 PM   #2
Trustee

It's just my rule of thumb, but I always figure equipment in "like new with some use" is max 50% of it's new street value....or that's my EBay rule, fwiw! /Battle Vaughan / miamiherald.com video team
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 08:37 PM   #3
Major Player

It's worth more than 50%. Look what GL1's and GL2's are selling for, its amazing.
Galen Rath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 09:03 AM   #4
Major Player

A great way to research resale values is to use eBay's "Advanced Search" and use the "Completed Items Only" checkbox. That lets you see closed auctions and actual dollar amounts paid.

Looking at the XH-A1, it seems to move easily in the lower/mid $2000 range with stock gear (charger, battery). Throw in a nice Pelican case or some sort of cookies and you're probably looking at the high $2000 range.
Old May 28th, 2009, 09:50 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Vaughan View Post
It's just my rule of thumb, but I always figure equipment in "like new with some use" is max 50% of it's new street value....
PLEASE let me know next time you're selling used equipment!!!

JS
John Stakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 10:12 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stakes View Post
PLEASE let me know next time you're selling used equipment!!!

JS
Me, too...
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 10:50 AM   #7
Major Player

Hehe I'm sure he uses revised percentages when *selling* gear ;)
Old May 30th, 2009, 04:19 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Contrary to popular belief, cams generally have a relatively good resale value in comparison with other electronics. However, the Canon XH-A1 is a unique case because its now outdated by the XH-A1s which improves on a lot of the weaknesses of its predecessor, making it in reality a much stronger cam even though there aren't that many extremely significant changes. I found a few people willing to buy my XH-A1 (I'm upgrading to a Panasonic HPX170) for around $2300 specifically because I've taken such good care of it, and there's less than 100 hours total usage on it. I don't know if that should be your guiding star, but it's just what I've seen offered in the past.
Sean Finnegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 11:14 AM   #9
Tourist

Hi guys and gals, I feel terrible that my first post on this forum is written with the intent to sell my camera considering how much great info I've pulled from here, but alas...

I am about to sell my XH A1 in mint condition, with a sony eyecup, UV filter, and Portabrace bag. Let me know if any of you are still interested.
Blake Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 12:29 PM   #10
Wrangler

For actual "For Sale" or "Wanted" posts, please use the Private Classifieds forum
It is only for established members of DVinfo so brand new members (I think less than a month of membership) won't be able to access it.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 01:57 PM   #11
Tourist

Thank you Pete. Apologies.
Blake Hamilton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders