HVR MRC1 and the A1 - The Bottom Line at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 15th, 2009, 03:19 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HVR MRC1 and the A1 - The Bottom Line

I know there 320 replies on 22 pages regarding this issue - thanks for all the in-depth info !
For those of us interested in buying an MRC1 - from those who have one - May we consolidate a few items ??

1) Post photos of your mounting solutions/options for the A1....

2) What are the exact settings on the MRC1 and the A1 that allow for proper operation and for "following" when record start/stop ?

3) Is there a definite solution for seamless clips ? No frame drops in audio or video when a new 4GB file is created.

4) What & Where is your best price on the MRC1 and recommended CF cards from a reliable source ?

Thank you all. You are a wealth of information !!

Darin
Darin Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 07:55 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hot Topic ???

Hey Guys - I thought this was a hot topic. I know several of you HAVE an MRC1. Help me out here..................the cash is burning a hole in my pocket !!!
Old February 17th, 2009, 10:26 PM   #3
Major Player

Go ahead and get one, you wont be dissapointed. :)
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 11:05 PM   #4
Regular Crew

i wish i had that cash in your pocket, ima have to wait until the price comes down, or i find work..... hopefully the price comes down =/
Janson Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2009, 10:04 AM   #5
Regular Crew

file transfer software

Anyone know if this software from Sony will work on the MRC1 to re-connect the clips so they are seamless? It shows the DR-60 , but the files are FAT32 there as well.

HVR-DR60 | Hard Disk Recording Unit
Old February 19th, 2009, 10:06 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Admin assistance

Would someone in admin please remove this thread. The answers I am looking for must be somewhere else and I have overlooked them.

Thank You.
Old February 19th, 2009, 10:14 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin Clifton View Post
Anyone know if this software from Sony will work on the MRC1 to re-connect the clips so they are seamless? It shows the DR-60 , but the files are FAT32 there as well.

HVR-DR60 | Hard Disk Recording Unit
Yes, the CD that comes with MRC1 downloads the same file and I used it last weekend. The only problem/pain is that it only looks for the CF. I first took the time to copy the files to my HD, then I ran the software and it only allowed me to select the drive letter of the CF as the source. You can save the assembled clips to any drive/directory.
Old February 21st, 2009, 03:54 AM   #8
Trustee

The program for the HVR-D60 works perfectly with the MRC1. It pulls the files together without any dropped frames. You would never know the video was broken into separate 4GB files.

As Steve noted the program will only read from a CF, but, it does not care what device is reading the CF. I have an Express Card reader on my laptop and a firewire reader on my desktop and on both machines the program recognizes the cards o problem.

No I'm really loving this little unit. The only thing I can really say against it is the display is a little small for my old eyes. But considering that I have cut down my transfer time to my NLE system by 1/10 of what it took me to capture from tape, I'm not going to complain.

Anyone shooting HDV and is considering going tapeless or better yet redundant tapeless + simultaneous backup, look no further.
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 01:26 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks !!!

Thanks to Steve & Garrett for the information. This information - along with talking to Kirk Graham on the phone this week confirms my purchase.

Other than the "bad" response from Full Compass on a purchase inquiry - and the old stand-by; B&H , anyone know of a better price on this unit ?? I need one before a trip to FL on March 10th. The NHRA GatorNationals & the real Gators are waiting !!!

Thanks Again Guys !!!

Darin
Old February 22nd, 2009, 12:40 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Thanks to Steve & Garrett for the information. This information - along with talking to Kirk Graham on the phone this week confirms my purchase.

Other than the "bad" response from Full Compass on a purchase inquiry - and the old stand-by; B&H , anyone know of a better price on this unit ?? I need one before a trip to FL on March 10th. The NHRA GatorNationals & the real Gators are waiting !!!

Thanks Again Guys !!!

Darin
Friend bought one from fullcompass a few days ago. Just came in friday. No complaints on our end. Try em out.
Randy Panado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 08:42 PM   #11
Tourist

Mrc1k cf speed

Anyone have a problem with using 133x speed CF cards. Just wondering if I should get 266x or if 133x is sufficient.
James Chun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 09:22 PM   #12
Regular Crew

CF media test on the MRC1

Here's a link to some information I found on a CF media test using the MRC1 - over 100 start/stop cycles in 30 minutes....over 150 in 60 minutes. Several cards tested and detailed results.

TechThoughts.org | CompactFlash Media Test Results.

Also- some more info on the MRC1 :

ProVideo Coalition.com: Camera Log by Adam Wilt | Founder | Pro Cameras, HDV Camera, HD Camera, Sony, Panasonic, JVC, RED, Video Camera Reviews
Old February 22nd, 2009, 10:11 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Chun View Post
Anyone have a problem with using 133x speed CF cards. Just wondering if I should get 266x or if 133x is sufficient.
I am using the Trancend 32GB 133x. So far so good.
Old February 24th, 2009, 06:27 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Would someone in admin please remove this thread. The answers I am looking for must be somewhere else and I have overlooked them.

Thank You.
If you have found the answers you were looking for then, rather than removing this thread, why not pass on those answers to the rest of us? Lots of us are interested in the MRC-1K and share your concerns. As you say, the existing threads are huge and daunting if you've not been following them from the beginning. One neat FAQ summary would be so helpful....

TIA
Old February 24th, 2009, 09:46 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Sobodos View Post
I am using the Trancend 32GB 133x. So far so good.
what's the longest single clip(s) you have recorded and did you have any problems with that (e.g. with the card speed keeping up with the feed into the card)... this could show up as dropped frames, corrupted file,etc.

(I guess my question is that if the 133 card is just above the speed required and there are any problems with a long take e..g almost the full card, a file corruption could be quite devestating). has this happened to you at all?

thanks!
Dave Stern is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders