Switching Recording Modes on the Fly at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old August 15th, 2008, 09:46 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Switching Recording Modes on the Fly

Hey there, I have a quick question. I shoot pretty much all my stuff at 24f, so I haven't tried this out. But is it okay to mix shooting modes on the same tape?

Like, what if I wanted to nab a couple shots at 60i (for slow-motion), go back to 24 for a few more shots, and then switch back to 60i or maybe even 30f?

Is this problematic? What'll happen during capture? (I generally use "Capture Now" in FCP)

I've had no problems whatsoever capturing 24f and 30f material, but I've never mixed modes on shots that are back-to-back. I hope this isn't a stupid question.

Thanks a bunch!

--Colin
Old August 15th, 2008, 09:59 AM   #2
Major Player

I don't believe you would have a problem. I have done this a few times on FCP and have not run into a problem yet. I would say that it probably depends on the the speed of your processors, hard drives, and capture devices. You may want to test it around your house with some short shots of family friends and random objects.

Good Luck
Louis Maddalena
Louis Maddalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 02:01 PM   #3
Major Player

I mix them all of them time as part of my regular workflow. I use Sony Vegas.
Eric Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 06:46 PM   #4
Trustee

Should not be a problem as I understand it as the 24f mode is really wrapped in a 30 frame wrapper.

At least that's what I've read.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 07:38 PM   #5
Contributor

If you use FCP's HDV 1080P24 capture mode and edit in the same timeline, there are 24 discrete frames per second, no pulldown. If you capture the 24p footage in a 60i setting and edit in the corresponding timeline, it's going to add pulldown, I think. And you'll have to render before playing. I would set up a separate project for the 60i capture.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2008, 02:19 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Hmm, cool.

I tested the capture using the HDV 1080P24 preset and checked the box that says, "new clip on timecode break". Seemed to work great. The 60i clip that was nested between two 24p clips read correctly as 60i.

That was surprisingly simple! Thanks for your help.

--Colin

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders