XH Custom Presets Download Library (copy) - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Closed Thread

Old April 27th, 2007, 09:25 PM   #106
Major Player

The file could be messed up. I think I may have had trouble with the final vividgrb preset and just entered the values into an available slot manually. The values are posted on one of these final pages - I can't recall if I did that because i needed another slot or that particular preset just wasn't loading properly

trish
Old April 30th, 2007, 09:16 PM   #107
Major Player

Just got my A1 this evening -wow - lots to learn.

I Downloaded the .cpf files to my Mac, created a new folder on the SD card called PRESET and stuffed them in. After puttting the card back in my A1 all the presets were immediately available. Got to love this forum and all the folks that have contributed.
Old May 1st, 2007, 01:42 AM   #108
Regular Crew

I can't open the files on my Mac for some reason?
Old May 1st, 2007, 06:44 AM   #109
Obstreperous Rex

You don't "open" the .CPF files on a Mac or a PC. You open them in your XH A1.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old May 1st, 2007, 06:50 AM   #110
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Kay View Post
I can't open the files on my Mac for some reason?
You might want to try this nice little app:

http://www.felixtheissen.com/apps/We...and%20win.html
Old May 1st, 2007, 08:05 AM   #111
New Boot

Presets

Does anyone have the actual presets list? I tried downloading these and they won't open.

PRESET05.CPF "LOWLT12" is for shooting in low light with 12db gain.

What are the exact presets for each so I can do it manually?

Thanks!
Old May 1st, 2007, 08:20 AM   #112
Obstreperous Rex

All of the settings are listed in detail, in the Excel spreadsheet in the first post of this thread.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old May 3rd, 2007, 07:40 AM   #113
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Gentry View Post
It looks like the DVX is crushing the blacks more than the A1. It favors the Canon to my eye. It seems the Canon could be getting a larger lattitude. It also appears that the blue in the sky and greens in the trees are darker on the DVX despite the fact that the white vehicles look closer to blown out on the DVX. This points to more contrast on the DVX (or less lattitude.) I like the fact that the Canon is resolving more shadow detail and higlight detail to my eye. I do large-fomat printing for a living so color comparisons are always interesting to me...

-Jonathan
One fundamental thing your forgetting is that the DVX100 here (in this case) is NTSC (411)
More than likely the A1 footage your seeing is HDV or downscaled HDV... (420)either way, its a different colour space, UNLESS both images are shot in DV mode on both cameras..

Another thing to note is the DVX is NOT a native 16:9 cam, so 25% of the CCD isnt in use, therefore its not taking in as much light, or resolving as many pixels as teh A1. Hence the lack of sharpness and gamma lattitude.

Dont get me wrong, the A1 is a brilliant tool, but when comparing one must be sure to be accurate in all aspects
Old May 9th, 2007, 01:45 PM   #114
Wrangler

here's a bit of custom preset sample footage:

http://www.planetestudios.com/bhutan.html

the first is panalook, the second vividgrb, and the third is my own preset memory...

a note: from shooting around in bhutan, memory looks best if you have some dramatic colors, there is a lot of red and orange in the bhutanese landscape, so the footage i shoot using it looked awesome. also, it helps to blow the highlights a bit....
Old May 9th, 2007, 03:58 PM   #115
New Boot

Very interesting thread! I've only had my A1 for a week, screwed up my first shoot due to taking lights but not being able to figure how to use the machine (had EOS 5D brain on) but that may have been a good thing as it spurred me on to really get to know this machine. To be honest I was a bit scared of all the tweaks but after reading this thread and playing with the A1's custom settings have started to fall in love with it!

Anyway, what puzzles me is why Canon don't do what they do for us EOS users with DPP software and have a bunch of standard settings (eg, portrait, landscape etc etc) on the web site.

Top thread and very, very useful!
:)

Mike
Old May 9th, 2007, 07:20 PM   #116
Major Player

Thanks to all those who set up and made the presets available. Great stuff.

Just one thing. I've got the PAL manual and the instructions for loading the presets is on Page 77 of my book.

Actually, once I finaly figured out that I didn't really need to load them but simply access them straight from the card, all became blindingly clear.

Once I've settled on six favourites I'll load them in the camera and keep the rest on the SD card.

Once again, thanks. This is a fantastic resource and I hope some day to be able to add something to it myself.
Old May 9th, 2007, 10:01 PM   #117
Tourist

Help

I can't seem to download the Excel file.

What gives?
Old May 9th, 2007, 10:11 PM   #118
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey A. Reyes View Post
I can't seem to download the Excel file.

What gives?
That's like telling a mechanic, "My car doesn't work. What's wrong with it?"

Can you elaborate so someone can help you?

Bill
Old May 9th, 2007, 10:22 PM   #119
Tourist

Nevermind...

I got it now.

It was easy and they look great. Can't wait to test them.

Thanks Chris!
Old May 10th, 2007, 03:44 AM   #120
Tourist

Vividrgb

Thanks to all who give such excellent advice. I am very glad I joined this group.

Just made the Vividgrb stettings in my almost brandnew A1 and wow, what a difference to the normal settings.

From Holland,
Henk
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders