Leaving XH A1 in car - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 4th, 2008, 03:46 AM   #16
Wrangler

The camcorder specs read 104 F as the top of the operating temperature range. That probably applies to guaranteed specs, and it will operate at at higher temperatures although some aspects of specs might not be met. (FWIW: the XL1 was rated 40 C guaranteed specifications, and operating to 45 C (about 113 F). It rarely gets that hot in FL. But it might in a car.

A significant issue in FL in the summer (or any other hot, humid climate, is the possibility of condensation when a cold camcorder is taken outdoors on a hot, humid day. Storing the camcorder with an ice pack while traveling just may do that. However, condensation is not an issue when taking a warm camcorder into a cold space.

How hot is the inside of the trunk? It will depend on ambient air temperature, winds, the sun exposure, and the color of the car In the passenger compartment add windows and window treatments as additional factors.
Old May 4th, 2008, 10:18 AM   #17
Contributor

Kevin, shooting in high humidity can be a pain. I think throwing in a handfull of those little dessicant packs to your camera bag might help. Condensation can be a problem too. If you go from an air conditioned building or car out into the heat and humidity, you can get a condensation warning and shutdown. Best to go outside first, let the camera acclimate, as well as the tape, and then load the tape. I got condensation inside my viewfinder on a full size camera in Florida one time, and it stayed there driving me nuts for the whole shoot.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2008, 03:09 PM   #18
Major Player

Kevin, If you use the set up I described, make sure you do not use ice or use a large cold pack. The other posts are correct - condensation is NOT your friend.
My setup keeps the camera at around 85 degrees on a 90-100 degree days. Any lower than that and you can start to get condensation when the camera is removed from the bag.
Jim Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2008, 06:16 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod Whaley View Post
And Doug--the fact that you consider 85 degrees F to be "hot heat" is kind of funny to us hillbilly southerners. 'Round these parts, 85 deg. is a pretty comfortable late Spring day. :)
I know, us Northerners are so weak and spoiled! :)

It's not the heat, it's the humility... er the humidity! :)
Doug Okamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2008, 08:50 PM   #20
Major Player

Camera in trunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod Whaley View Post
You guys are a little paranoid, aren't you? How often do car trunks get broken into? :) Honestly, I think a break-in at your home is probably several orders of magnitude more likely to happen.
Actually, not paranoid -- since the writer lives in Florida, I want to caution him the local cops who patrol some of the beaches told me thieves hang out in the parking lot watching who puts their wallet and other stuff in the trunk then break in once the victim goes out of sight. Better to do this well before you get to the beach. However, it is better to put it in the trunk than in plain sight in the car.

As far as heat goes -- Look at the specifications in the camera literature - if your trunk exceeds that, bad idea.
James Harring is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders