Is the XH-A1 too much for my needs? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 17th, 2007, 02:30 PM   #16
New Boot

First video (it's pretty amatuerish, lol) anyways... i dont have a video head yet for my tripod so it was all handheld or stationary. Mostly I was just familiarizing myself with the camera and playing with settings... good videography came second... a distant second. I pumped up the chroma, but I still want colors that are like a laser beam to the eye... whats the best way? Chroma gain is at 50... should i pump up R B and G gain too? The average customer loves over saturated colors... at least in my photography.

Any suggestions are welcome... I know for instance following one car then whipping back to follow another with zooming is very disconcerting, but I'm not sure I'll be able to start stop every two seconds... this is hopefully not a concern... see next sentences: The video below is one that I actually edited; whereas, the video I make at the track will be more or less straight from teh camera, so I need to figure out the best techniques to get "cool" video that the participants would want to buy. They run usually 20 minute sessions and ideally the camera will be unattended... I'm trying to avoid spending my time manning the camera as I already don't have much time each day... so again, any thoughts are welcome.

OK, so here's the link to the video.. the last half of the video is photos I took from the track day, which is actually what I do... I sell those to customers. Unfortunately I messed up the aspect ratio on the pictures somehow and they're all squooshed in this video.

http://www.caliphotography.com/video...ts11-16-07.wmv

Unfortunately I had some other neat footage, but I tried out the .mov recording on the fs-4 and 1) it looked like crap and 2) windows movie maker wouldn't import it, so I couldn't use it.
Brian Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2007, 06:09 PM   #17
Major Player

Brian,

Thanks for sharing.

How you enjoying the A-1?

Colors looked great and video was fairly sharp. I thought the video was pretty stable for hand held.

If you are interested in saturated colors, you might want to take a look at some of the presets(piece of cake to set up) listed in this forum.

The colors and sharpness of the stills from this camera continue to impress me.

Keep us posted on how it's going.

Rog Lee
Roger Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2007, 09:30 PM   #18
New Boot

Just to clarify, the stills at the end are from my dslr.. canon mark ii n with 400mm f2.8 or 70-200mm f2.8 lenses.
Brian Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2007, 10:08 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Reynolds View Post
Just to clarify, the stills at the end are from my dslr.. canon mark ii n with 400mm f2.8 or 70-200mm f2.8 lenses.
Thanks Brian for the info.

By the way, I own/use the camera/lenses that you mention.

So...

How do you like the A-1?

Rog Lee
Roger Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2007, 12:47 AM   #20
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lee View Post
Thanks Brian for the info.

By the way, I own/use the camera/lenses that you mention.

So...

How do you like the A-1?

Rog Lee
So far I like it alot. It's so nice to be able to control things! haha. I'm very happy with the SD video results so far. I shot a couple of clips in hi-def, but I don't see any software CD that came with the camcorder so no idea what i'm supposed to do with .m2t files except buy some online software?
Brian Reynolds is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders