Horizontal Pans - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old October 29th, 2007, 11:28 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Hi Christopher............

In no way, shape or form, was I having a swipe at anyone in my post. I do most humbly appologise if that was it's percieved intent.

I thoroughly checked each and every previous post a number of times before posting mine to ensure that was not a possibility, still got it wrong. Sorry.

My comment about HD monitors comes from my experience with certain shots I have done.

When I first had the A1, my only HD screen was a Dell 24" monitor on the PC. All well and good.

I shot a heap of stuff, edited it, and thought it looked great.

Some months later I bought a Sony 46" X series Bravia and reviewed my "wonderfull" stuff. Oh dear!

I watched the clips on the Sony, and then ran them again on the Dell.

I ran them on both screens at the same time (bit of a bugger as the screens are on diametrically different sides of the room). Oh dear!

Stuff I just could not see on the Dell (this IS a HD monitor BTW) suddenly jumped out, smacked me over the head with a baseball bat and said, "Didn't see me, did you?".

Too bloody right I hadn't. The problems were so infintesmal on the Dell they simply didn't register. On the Sony they stood out like a sore thumb, in glorious Technicolour (er, SonyColour?).

Is the Sony an all singing, all dancing "Broadcast Monitor"? Heck, in no way. But seeing HD @ 46" is a lot different to seeing it @ 24".

Sounds rediculous, doesn't it, it shouldn't really make any difference, screen size versus viewing distance and all that, but hey, I can only tell you what I see.

Once again, I appologise to anyone who may have misinterpreted my post or it's intention.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 06:50 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Chris

I apologize for taking things so personal.
Christopher Neville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 10:51 PM   #18
New Boot

Too many variables!

For example, if I play a capture file (60i) on my new 24inch Gateway monitor, I can see pixelation when panning. If I play the same file directly from the camera to the monitor via the componet cable, no pixelation. I have a new quad core Pentium and I suspect that it or the software (PowerDVD)codec are not keeping up when I play the capture file (more decoding?). If I play the same scene rendered in post on my five year old Sony Bravia (1080i) it is stunning and absolutely no pixelation. Some HDTVs mentioned in this thread are plasma, some LCD. Can we really make any realistic and accurate comparison with so many possible variables? Nonetheless, all of this has caused me to be cautious and think about what I am doing or representing: I was showing off the camera to a fellow videographer (sony Z1) with the first example listed above and I was a little embarassed and having read this thread a little later, I started looking at the variables I have in my system. I will invite him back another day and tout the wonders of the A1 on my HDTV. Any ideas about the capture file being rougher? thanks
John Arnold Ph.D. is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders