I want to buy an XA20, but ... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
For the Canon XA25, XA20, XA10 and all VIXIA / LEGRIA Series AVCHD camcorders.

Old February 20th, 2014, 05:12 AM   #16
Wrangler

Re: I want to buy an XA20, but ...

Quote:
The XA20 also lists the BP828. I would not be surprise if it works with the XA10,
FWIW, the BP828 equivalent from Kapaxen works in the XA10.
Old April 30th, 2014, 10:21 PM   #17
Major Player

Re: I want to buy an XA20, but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Brooks View Post
The bottom line for me is still iris control and it's ease of use.

I chatted with someone from B&H today and it doesn't sound like there are any lanc remotes that will run the iris function. The camera has to be compatible to accept that function and the xa20 doesn't fall into that category. (That would be my dream function for this camera.)

I really don't find the control wheel on the back of the XA10 to be that friendly to work with when I'm constantly adjusting, so I'm wondering ... would I like the knob under the lens better? Is it easier / more natural to use or is it harder because of the location?

I know I could buy one and test it out, but I'd really rather not have to go that route.
the lanc protocol doesn't give iris control. the panasonic does. but the panasonic doesn't give zoom speed control from the remote. You have to set it in the camera, while on lanc you can do it in the remote (16 speeds, from the remote, in the case of the canon's implementation). So it depends on what you need most : in my case a zoom speed control on the fly is more important. We'd love to have them both of course.
In any case if you need a camera to be constantly adjusted then skip the canons (XA10 and XA20).
Anthony Lelli is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders