My Canon HV20 vs. JVC GZ-HD7 experience - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 9th, 2007, 09:15 PM   #16
Major Player

JVC just makes me scratch my head.

They can deliver great product (Like their RS-1 Projector) every now and then but they are inconsistent.

Right now I was excited about this unit as well but now I'm back to eyeballing the HV20 which seemingly exceeds the HD7's quality despite "not" having 3 Pixel Shift CCD, Fujinon lens a higher bitrate.

I simply cannot accept paying $500 more for the JVC.
Harrison Murchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 09:18 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Parenti View Post
Unfortunately I just don't have the computer to do it. Right now I'm stuck to just my laptop which unfortunately does not have a IEEE 1394 port. :(
OK, I got it. If you get your Firewire back, by all means try to post some clips for us.

Good luck.

Dennis
Dennis Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 09:23 PM   #18
Major Player

This is one comparision with no video samples or controlled testing. While I appreciate that Tony saw what he did, you shouldn't use this one thread to condemn the camcorder. Why not get your own hands on it or wait for other tests and then decide?
John McManimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 06:07 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McManimie View Post
This is one comparision with no video samples or controlled testing. While I appreciate that Tony saw what he did, you shouldn't use this one thread to condemn the camcorder. Why not get your own hands on it or wait for other tests and then decide?
This man speaks the truth. I just wanted to provide and quick initial impression for you guys. That's why I prefaced that I'm not a professional reviewer and that the only test instrument I had was my eyes.
Tony Parenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 11:14 AM   #20
Inner Circle

This is true Tony, BUT ultimately our eyes and ears are the most important "test instruments" we have... and when you do side by side comparisons it's better than the "reviews" where they take a cam for a couple hours (minutes?), and praise or pan it. Unless they have ALL the cameras they compare side by side at the same time, there's going to be lapses of memory... it's only human.

One recent review of a Sony cam comes to mind... the review was just plain flat out WRONG about the "low light" when comparing it to the previous Sony model - I firewired the two cams to the computer, and one had usable images, the other had noticeably degraded images, much like the description of the JVC. Maybe they LOOKED about the same in the LCD/viewfinder, but when put into a format where you'd actually be using the camera... the newer Sony was a CLEAR winner, hands down!

I'll trust field reports from someone who knows and uses cameras before I make a decision based on "reviews".

SOMETIMES we rely too much on "scientific testing", and forget the "art". This is why manufacturers put all sorts of "pretty" and impressive specs in front of their product releases - they know we salivate like Pavlov's dog when we see things that "should" make one model or another superior...

Bottom line is whether the actual product can deliver the goods in real world use by someone who takes the time to learn it's strengths and weaknesses. And if there are weaknesses you just can't "work around"... well, it may be the wrong tool for YOUR job!

DB>)
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 12:24 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Nunez View Post
I'm bummed out......should have held onto my FX7 or A1 a bit longer.
Yup you should have! I'm enjoying it and not letting go Steve (^_^)
Monday
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 12:43 PM   #22
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Nunez View Post
I guess we'll have to wait for Canon to come out with an internal HD camera to get really good video!
Not really Steve, the HV10/HV20 are delivering the goods now.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 02:18 PM   #23
New Boot

I thought Tony's report was excellent and gave me all of the information I needed, plus the fact that his wife stated that the Canon delivered a better picture. I've read PLENTY of reviews in the past in DV mag and other trade mags, but this forum seems to be the best place because of guys like Tony and the rest of you - honest and real answers from users!!!

I wholeheartedly agree that a side-by-side test is the best test scenario (taking in to account similar mode settings and such), but I can't afford to buy two camcorders because I just shelled out a good bit of cash on a new notebook a month ago (and I wish I had saved and bought a Powerbook instead of the HP dv9233 I bought on-sale at Costco for $1499 - sigh...)
Terry Reilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 02:23 PM   #24
Regular Crew

With my luck, all the pro reviewers are going to rate the HD7 over the HV20 and I'm going to have alot of egg on my face ;-)
Tony Parenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 05:59 PM   #25
Trustee

Tony, it wouldn't be the first time that real world owners have differed with 'official' reviewers. Sometimes you wonder if these guys look at the same equipment we do.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 08:04 PM   #26
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Reilley View Post
Well, I took the plunge and ordered my HV20 from Circuit City yesterday. I had to call in order to get the 10%-off coupon to work, since the website kept erroring out when I tried to apply the advertised coupon. Paid the extra $8.00 for 2-day shipping and should have it by Thursday - YAY!!!

Thank you all for the help with this choice. It has not been easy and yes, the JVC was hard to turn away because it is a very nice looking camcorder.
What 10% coupon?
Darin Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 08:28 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin Norris View Post
What 10% coupon?
Was for Easter day only :(
Duane Steiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 08:55 PM   #28
New Boot

They actually had a 3 day sale as well (Sun, Mon, Tue). They emailed coupon codes to people. I have one I didn't use. First one to PM me I can send it to you. Dunno though if they tie it to my email address though. But, I'm pretty sure at the most they will allow one person to use it.

Unless someone considers that a violation of forum policy, then I won't give it out.

Erik
Erik CaPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 10:21 PM   #29
Major Player

The Circuit City code was no secret, nor was it a 1-time code. It's 53AQV84ALL and it works/worked online. Enter it during checkout under coupons/gift cards or whatever.

I googled it up after seeing Terry Reilley's post and found it on a "hot deals" website, but decided against using it when I got ahold of a 20% off dell coupon!

$938 for the HV20 including shipping and tax. Booyah!!!!

Last edited by David Garvin; April 11th, 2007 at 12:13 AM.
David Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 10:24 PM   #30
Major Player

double-post

Last edited by David Garvin; April 11th, 2007 at 12:12 AM.
David Garvin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders