Canon HV20 Press Release, Overview and more - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old February 2nd, 2007, 05:31 PM   #76
Regular Crew

[/QUOTE]
Canon decided to do it the correct way and make it a real 24p.

I have been reading a lot on the 24p now that the Hv-20 is coming out with it, from a prosumer point of view I can see that you will need to plan your shots very carefully, avoid rapid pans and in general rapid motion undeliberate filming, there is also the benefit of wider color gamut and wider grayscale with less chance to burn the highlights.
Aside from those advantages/disadvantages can you think of other benefits of the 24 frame rate.
Thanks,
Luis
Luis A. Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2007, 07:42 AM   #77
Major Player

Well well well. I can't believe it. I leave the forum for a number of days and news like this brakes! I can't beleive it. i get pretty much what i wanted the HV10 to be. Well, minus 1080p60 to a solid state format and 20x lens with manual focus and zoom. :P

lol the only thing i need to wait for is for someone to get one and find out if HDMI out is before signal processing and dumbing down to HDV. Something tells me it wont be. :( Oh and the aussie priceing. Something tells me we'll get raped in that department like always.

But well done Canon. At least they have a little bit of RED seeping through for us conned sumers. :)
Old February 3rd, 2007, 02:16 PM   #78
Trustee

i can just see it now, consumers complaining to Canon Consumer division saying that HV20 sux and is "broken" because it is soooooooooooooooo blurry when on cinematic look.

lol!!!
Old February 3rd, 2007, 03:34 PM   #79
Regular Crew

HV20 vs GL-2 Lowlight?

From back upthread:
>Here's a side question: which do you think gets better low-light: the GL2 or this new HV-20

One hint is at Camcorderinfo.com with the 15 lux captures from a GL-2 and a HV-10. Assuming that nothing has changed in their test methodology for the past few years, the HV-10 looks better to my eyes.

-Tom-
Tom Voigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2007, 04:36 PM   #80
Obstreperous Rex

Sorry, attachments removed -- please don't upload the property of another site to our server, it is a copyright violation. Just post a link to the original location please.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2007, 05:04 PM   #81
Regular Crew

Links to GL-2, HV10 15lux

Camcorderinfo has 15 lux test charts.

GL-2 is somewhere in here.
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...1300_group.htm

HV10 is here (BTW they reference H1 comparisons, but all the charts read HV10?)
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...erformance.htm
Old February 3rd, 2007, 06:41 PM   #82
Major Player

Take most tests done at camcorderinfo with a grain of salt. Most reviews have significant errors, and the testing has changed over the years. The Numerical testing system is very inconsistent, and they often praise a product for a feature and condemn it for that very feature.
Holly Rognan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2007, 07:20 PM   #83
Regular Crew

Holly,

All I am referencing is the 15 lux test charts. Same test chart, hopefully same 15 lux lighting, two cameras, one small data point that seems to suggest that the HV10 does at least as well if not better than the GL-2 in available darkness.
Old February 3rd, 2007, 07:29 PM   #84
Obstreperous Rex

Maybe it's about time we do our own charts... DV Info Net style. How does that sound.

DSC Labs is already a sponsor here. All of the elements are in place as far as I can tell.

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2007, 07:35 PM   #85
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Maybe it's about time we do our own charts... DV Info Net style. How does that sound.

DSC Labs is already a sponsor here. All of the elements are in place as far as I can tell.
It sounds like a great idea!

A number of the digital camera sites have a set chart and still life they use for every camera. That way you get an apples to apples comparison between two cameras.

The Imaging Resource Comparometer is a nice implementation.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

-Tom-
Old February 4th, 2007, 12:34 AM   #86
Major Player

Chris,

Thats a good idea. I'd trust this site. :) I'd like to suggest a time line feature that could possibly be updated with a few trusted ppl. Similar to dpreview's timeline. Showing camera model number and date released. Its an awesome thing to track your next purchase with and to just see when the camera your about to purchase was really released and actually seeing its 10months old already can be a help. :)
Old February 4th, 2007, 08:41 AM   #87
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd

Having a 2nd reliable source would be a great idea Chris!
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2007, 02:44 PM   #88
Major Player

Ultimately I don't think the 24p features will be useful to the typical HD consumer. Most people will switch to 24p and see that it looks very jerky. Purists will complain about "jutter" and the like.

Because it's a 1/2.7" chip, the DOF will not be very shallow - which will make pans and steadicam work look very stroboscopic. Only those people who really understand what it takes to make deep DOF 24p video look good will benefit from the feature. For those people, this camera will be a budget conscious boon.

I would most certainly purchase this camera over the FX1 if it was available at the time. Of course, it wasn't, so the FX1 is what I've got.

Camcorders like this bode very well for the consumer of the future... who knows what the next generation will hold!

-Steve
Steven White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2007, 02:58 PM   #89
Regular Crew

Maybe it would reintroduce in a way the shakey (is that a word?) feel of those old 8mm films :)

btw nice picture overview behind that Amazon link:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ima...&s=electronics.

I'm having a hard time guessing whether my Canon WD-43 0.7 converter will not obstruct the instant focus sensor.
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/...CLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
Pieter Jongerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2007, 03:28 PM   #90
Obstreperous Rex

Yes -- either converter (wide or tele) will obstruct the I.AF sensor.

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders