HV20 now on Canon Japan web site - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old January 31st, 2007, 04:43 PM   #46
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Vasher
Ken, can you tell us what it's called in the menu? Is it just an on/off feature or are there mutiple sharpness settings?
It is in 'Image effect' then go to custom, here you will find controls for Brightenss, contrast, sharpness and colour depth.

There are mutiple increments for each.
Lee Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 04:54 PM   #47
Major Player

That's good to know Lee, thanks.
Wes Vasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 05:09 PM   #48
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly Rognan
What is the button 'BLC' on the front.
It will produce a toasted Bacon, Lettuce and Cheese sandwich from the tape bay.

In the PAL version this is likely to be Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato.
Old January 31st, 2007, 05:25 PM   #49
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Gould
THe HV20 light sensitivity is apparently 3lux (vs 5lux for hv10), roughly same for night mode...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross
How is a 40% improvement in low-light 'roughly the same'????
The translated spec text from Canon japan said 3 (vs 5) lux for regular shooting modes;
but in night mode (eg slow-shutter speed I assume), they said .2lux, vs HV10 specs said .3lux.
I figured & meant to comment that .1 lux isn't much difference, for THAT spec.
Clearly 3 vs 5 is a big improvement & I'm happy w/ that (more important) spec.

I should have put a semi-colon in my statement to separate the two sets of specs more clearly, sorry!
Colin Gould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 07:17 PM   #50
Trustee

Quote:
Ken, can you tell us what it's called in the menu? Is it just an on/off feature or are there mutiple sharpness settings?
It's a setting in the custom menu, aptly named 'sharpness'. ;)

It has 3 positions: Default, + and -
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 06:15 AM   #51
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Wilson
It will produce a toasted Bacon, Lettuce and Cheese sandwich from the tape bay.

In the PAL version this is likely to be Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato.
Great, first PAL users get more resolution, then a proper BLT sandwich. Its just not fair.
Old February 1st, 2007, 08:42 AM   #52
Major Player

Does "- Sharpness" actually turn sharpening off entirely or only limit it? I searched around but couldn't find an answer.
Wes Vasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 09:55 AM   #53
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Williams
Great, first PAL users get more resolution, then a proper BLT sandwich. Its just not fair.
NTSC =Non Tomato Sandwich Country, it just the way things are.
Old February 1st, 2007, 11:44 AM   #54
Trustee

Quote:
Does "- Sharpness" actually turn sharpening off entirely or only limit it? I searched around but couldn't find an answer.
I'm not sure Wes, but I can tell you this camera has less sharpening than any other camcorder I've ever used. Even at its default setting, I can see absolutely no sharpening at all.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 12:00 PM   #55
Regular Crew

Hv20

If you look at how Canon releases new technology on the still side of the house, you know that new sensors and features always get rolled out in consumer models first.

The still images we capture with our 1D series are vastly superior to anything we can get with our H1/A1 chips, and in low light the difference is so vast a comparison isn't even fair.

The 1Ds has a phenomenal CMOS chip, full frame 35mm, 17mp, 4992 x 3328 max resolution, and this sensor is two years old. If I could have 24p with the chip in my 1Ds mkII, wow.

Since Canon has a great track record with still sensors and single chip glass, there is no reason for them not to be looking at unified sensor R&D and production for both still and motion cameras.

I think this camera is a sneak peek at Canon's future product path. With Canon's market penetration in both professional video and still market, their continuing R&D, the size of their R&D budget, and the obvious growing interest in DOF adapters and digital cinema, all I can say is that Red could be dead, and Arri and Panavision should be worried.
E.J. Sadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 03:16 PM   #56
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly Rognan
For a consumer cam, this is nearly flawless.
From a professional standpoint, it will be able to keep up with the big boys. From specs alone, the resolution will be as good as the XLH1, and the lowlight almost as good.
HV20 looks like a great addition to the HDV camcorders!

One thing though - i'm not 100% sure, but i think the quoted 3lux-rating is actually at 1/30th second shutter-speed, so the 'normal' shutter-speed of 1/60th sec. may therefore give about a 5lux rating.

Sony and Canon both seem to now be quoting lux ratings at shutter-speeds less than default 1/60th sec, so it is important to check the shutter-speed for the quoted lux rating. (often not explicitly stated unfortunately!). For example HC7 is quoted as being 2lux but that is at 1/30th second shutter too.

Given this, I think low-light might still be a long way off XLH1/XHA1 low-light performance IMO. (happy to be proved wrong!).

If someone could confirm that the 3lux rating is in fact at a shutter-speed of 1/30th second that would be helpful.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 03:25 PM   #57
Obstreperous Rex

Yes that's right. The 3 lux rating is indeed at a shutter-speed of 1/30th second.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 03:27 PM   #58
Trustee

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/31/c...der-gets-real/
"As we hoped, low light shooting has indeed been improved from a 5 to 3 lux sensitivity at 1/30 second shutter speed"
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 09:16 PM   #59
Regular Crew

The google translated Canon japan website, said the HV10 5lux spec was also for 1/30s shutter speed, so the 3 vs 5 is apples to apples.

HV10:
http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?hl...language_tools
"Lowest photographing luminous intensity

* Approximately 0.3 luces (at the time of knight mode, 1/2 seconds in shutter speed)
* Approximately 5 luces (automatic mode, at the time of o toss low shutter ON, 1/30 seconds in shutter speed"

HV20:
* Approximately 0.2 luces (at the time of knight mode, 1/2 seconds in shutter speed)
* Approximately 3 luces (automatic mode, at the time of o toss low shutter ON, 1/30 seconds in shutter speed)
Colin Gould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 01:36 PM   #60
Trustee

I cannot remember if this helps or not but would a bigger lens help sensitivity? This may explian how the same exact chip and DSP could be more sensitive. More light comes through onto the chip. I cannot remember if that helps or not.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders