Considering GH1 for Canon HF-S20 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old February 5th, 2012, 08:14 AM   #1
Major Player

Considering GH1 for Canon HF-S20

I am considering a trade for my HF-S20 to pick up a GH1. I recently had a D7000 stolen and need a HDSLR to capture great depth of field in low light. The GH1 also comes with a Nikon lens adapter which should be great considering I have some pretty good Nikon glass. Is the camera really a good choice; the GH1 or should I be looking for something else? I've heard that the 1080P may not be the greatest.

Please provide your feed back.
Maurice Covington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 05:14 AM   #2
New Boot

Re: Considering GH1 for Canon HF-S20

The GH1 can shoot 720p/60, which enables creative use of 1/2 speed slow motion. See this commercial shot with the GH1. View in HD for best results.

With good lenses the GH1 can produce excellent video. Here's a test intercutting between a GH1, 5D MKII and Red One. View in HD for best results.

There are software hacks for the GH1 which enable higher bit rates. I don't have experience with those.

That said my preference would be a newer-generation conventional DSLR like a D7000 or even a Canon T2i. I have a G10 for video and need an excellent low-light still camera, and I don't like the current mirrorless EVF cameras. I have a D300 and will probably switch to the 5D MKIII when it's released, as Nikon has taken the D800 in a non-useful direction for me. But if you have Nikon glass that's a strong argument for staying with Nikon or compatible cameras.
Joe Marler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 07:00 AM   #3
Major Player

Re: Considering GH1 for Canon HF-S20

Okay, I've looked at the D800 and I am absolutely floored by the video and the photographic sides of the camera. I am almost sold! Like you I am awaiting the official announcement of the Canon 5D Mark III. I was hoping to be able to shoot 1080P at a frame rate of 60P. I actually don't know if this is achievable. I am also hearing noise about 2K and now 4K that is found on the more expensive C300 and cameras like the RED Scarlet.

I've already made the trade for the GH1 and even with the kit lens, the camera seems to have good video. I've tried unsuccessfully to mount my Nikon 24-70mm lens. I was told in another forum that if I set the appeture to 2.8 on a Nikon camera, which I have, I can then take the lens off of the Nikon and mount it onto the GH1 and use the ISO and shutter on the GH1 to control the light. I haven't had a chance to try this yet but, I hope this works. I've got what I feel is some really good glass and I wanted this camera to get some nice tight closeup shots and also interviews.
Maurice Covington is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders