Help - Just got a HV40 - use with FCP? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old March 28th, 2010, 10:26 PM   #1
Tourist

Help - Just got a HV40 - use with FCP?

Can someone walk me through importing footage from a Canon VIXIA HV40 into FCP7? So far, I can't get FCP's Log and Capture to recognize the camera, but I'm not sure if it's the firewire connection or whether I don't know how to set the correct settings for this camera/footage.

From the camera, I'm using a DV to Firewire 400 cable with a Firewire 800 adapter (because my new mac doesn't have any FW400 ports and this is what B&H recommended).

What are the standard FCP settings/codec for footage shot with the HV40? If someone could describe what they've done capturing footage into FCP (even if you're using FW400), it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Lauren Timmons
Lauren Timmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010, 10:11 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Is there anything else plugged into any firewire port on your mac? The reason I ask is because I have an HV30 and if anything else is plugged in (like an external harddrive) the camera doesn't play nice and FCP won't recognize it.
Brad Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010, 10:24 AM   #3
Major Player

Lauren,

I don't think the log and transfer function works like normal with the HV30/40.

You have to use the Capture Now button.

Make sure your settings are correct on camera for playback/transfer.

With camera off, cable the camera to computer, turn camera on, and then launch FC.

See if this helps.

Jonathan
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders