Threaded hood for Raynox 6600 WA adapter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old June 17th, 2009, 07:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Threaded hood for Raynox 6600 WA adapter

I was excited this morning when I checked my tracking number from B&H and saw that the lens hood I ordered for my Raynox 6600 was out for delivery. I was hoping it would be the ideal fit and that I could share images of it here tonight. But unfortunately, I was quite disappointed in what I pulled out of the UPS bag.

Here's what I ordered (click the image for the B&H item page):

Note the rectangular shape, and how it appears to be somewhat deep. I was hoping the combination would cut out a lot of lens flare.

Unfortunately, here's what I got:

It's perfectly round and extremely shallow. I put it on the camera and it had absolutely no effect. Some product images at B&H say "For illustrative purposes only" but this one did not. I've requested an RMA. Hopefully B&H will come through for me.

So does anyone know of a good 72mm screw-on hood that works well with the Raynox 6600? I've seen the hood Taky uses, and it looks like it would be effective, but I'm really looking for something a little less flashy. I would prefer a rubber hood.

Thanks.
Kevin Zibart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2009, 08:33 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I did some searching this morning and found these two that look promising. Combined, they're still cheaper than the one I got from B&H (who issued me an RMA number this morning), so I'm buying both.

Rubber:

Plastic petal:

When they come in, I'll report back which one works best. I'm still open to suggestions as well.
Old June 20th, 2009, 01:09 PM   #3
New Boot

looking forward to feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Zibart View Post
I did some searching this morning and found these two that look promising. Combined, they're still cheaper than the one I got from B&H (who issued me an RMA number this morning), so I'm buying both.

When they come in, I'll report back which one works best. I'm still open to suggestions as well.
Kevin,

I'll be very interested in seeing your feedback on these two lens hoods.

I am considering to purchase the Raynox HD6600 for my Canon HF-100. I've started a thread asking for opinions (http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-vix...-hf-100-a.html).

Cheers,
Dennis.
Dennis Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2009, 08:16 PM   #4
Regular Crew

The two above-mentioned lens hoods came in today, along with a 58mm rubber hood I also ordered. Here's an animated GIF of the different hoods on my HF10 (click for a larger version):

The bad news is, while the original rubber hood (first post) was way too shallow, this one is too deep. It can easily be seen, even when partially collapsed. Plus, as you'll see in the following footage, it doesn't block lens flare as well as the plastic petal hood. So it would seem as though I've found the hood I'll be using (the petal). I think it looks the best as well, but that was always a secondary priority. Here's the test footage:

Lens Flare Test with Different Lens Hoods on Vimeo

Edit: I just realized the original post above now shows a correct image of the rubber hood I ordered from B&H (hot-linked from their site), as opposed to the rectangular-shaped hood they originally showed on their site. Props to them for following up on my feedback. Unfortunately, I can't edit my original post, so now it doesn't make any sense. Oh well.
Old August 1st, 2009, 09:11 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I use a Canon hood from the XH-A1:

YouTube - HV20 Raynox HD6600-PRO lens hood
Mark Joseph is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders