Zoom presets with HV-30? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old December 13th, 2008, 03:04 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Zoom presets with HV-30?

Hello Forum members,
Has anybody been able to preset the zoom sweep setting? I am filming with two side-by-side HV-30 cams. The zoom on each cam is all or nothing, in the stock default. I wondered if the zoom could be stepped in increments up to full in, with some code options? full zoom is too close, full out is too far, and without presets, there is now way to sync both cams on the same setting. Thanks for any help.
Cheers,
Christo
Christo Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2008, 07:23 PM   #2
Go Cycle

Press the FUNCTION BUTTON

SCROLL to the bottom icon=MENU

PRESS the SCROLL button.

It will now open to Camera System

CHOOSE ZOOM SPEED via > >> >>> icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christo Aaron View Post
Hello Forum members,
Has anybody been able to preset the zoom sweep setting? I am filming with two side-by-side HV-30 cams. The zoom on each cam is all or nothing, in the stock default. I wondered if the zoom could be stepped in increments up to full in, with some code options? full zoom is too close, full out is too far, and without presets, there is now way to sync both cams on the same setting. Thanks for any help.
Cheers,
Christo
Old December 13th, 2008, 11:08 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Zoom Preset STOPS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Bruno View Post
Press the FUNCTION BUTTON

SCROLL to the bottom icon=MENU

PRESS the SCROLL button.

It will now open to Camera System

CHOOSE ZOOM SPEED via > >> >>> icon
Hello Lou,
Before I go there, will your suggestion provide me with PRESET STOPS, rather than ZOOM SPEEDS. Such as 0X/ 2X /4X /Max or can this only provide faster or slower ZOOM SPEEDS?
Thanks,
Christo
Old December 14th, 2008, 02:57 AM   #4
Trustee

There might be a way of doing this with the remote - one remote controlling both cameras.
At least you should be able to get them both to do the same thing, with a bit of luck, if they are side by side.
(I've had it happen by accident with two cameras the same, even when they were some distance from each other).

Last edited by Colin McDonald; December 14th, 2008 at 03:10 AM. Reason: Clarification
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2008, 06:35 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Preset Stops for Zoom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McDonald View Post
There might be a way of doing this with the remote - one remote controlling both cameras.
At least you should be able to get them both to do the same thing, with a bit of luck, if they are side by side.
(I've had it happen by accident with two cameras the same, even when they were some distance from each other).
Thanks Colin,
Let me ask you this, did you find that this particular time (it happened) both cams had stopped at a synced zoom increment? Or, were both cams in sync each time you toggled the zoom in or out? That would be a simple solution, and I will give that a real test trial. Unfortunately, there will be no real way of knowing if both were exactly in sync until I render into a final cut anaglyph file. What I was hoping for, was some type of firmware screen readout % #of zoom, maybe I missed an adjustment the owners manual which would give me a number readout on the zoom screen line. As it is, I cannot get both cams in manual sync between full zoom or no zoom. This is not functional, when trying to shoot a midrange shot in stereo.
Cheers,
Christo
Old December 15th, 2008, 12:50 AM   #6
Trustee

Both cameras zoomed in and out in sync but from different staring points. I was using small adjustments at first but eventually both cameras went to full wide on a sustained push of the W toggle.

If you start from full wide or full zoom and carefully aim the remote I would expect two HV-30s to remain in sync, but you won't know for sure until you try.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 07:36 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Sync of Stereo HV-30 Cams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McDonald View Post
Both cameras zoomed in and out in sync but from different staring points. I was using small adjustments at first but eventually both cameras went to full wide on a sustained push of the W toggle.

If you start from full wide or full zoom and carefully aim the remote I would expect two HV-30s to remain in sync, but you won't know for sure until you try.
Thanks Again Colin,
I'll demo test all these suggestions tonight. Maybe also, if the one remote triggers both cams in the zooming stops, then each cam may also be used to start record in sync, with one remote as well?
Manual starts, or zooms, create shaky motion, of beginning filmed clips. Usually this is edited out prior to the audio edit sync click. I like to think, remote control use may solve some of these variables. I do like the compact HV-30 duel stereo cams, working on city streets. As I don't like to draw attention to my equipment, for someone to heist me.
Cheers,
Christo
Christo Aaron is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders