Help: New HV20 Blocky Square Artifacts at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old January 27th, 2008, 08:59 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Help: New HV20 Blocky Square Artifacts

Hi All,

Got an HV20 a few weeks ago. I'm only interested in shooting 24p and use JESDeInterlacer on Mac OS X for doing inverse telecine. All works great except...

I am seeing blocky square artifacts every few seconds primarily (although not exclusively) along the right edge of the frame. These are clearly visible both upon playback in-camera and after import. At first I had assumed these were because of the tape stock I was using (high end Sony HDV tapes that were about a year old) or because I had tested right from the beginning of a new tape.

I decided to try some new consumer Sony HDV tape stock this morning, but same thing. There are three possibilities: striping is mandatory, I got a bad unit, or the HV20's 24p mode compression is so crappy that huge pixellated blocks boiling across the image is considered acceptable on a $700 HDV camera (not to me, buddy, but maybe to someone). I'm going to try striping a tape next to see if that helps at all. I simply can't use footage like this, it's too distracting and would be a nightmare to try and fix in post. Massively disappointing!

Here are a couple of still images of what I'm seeing - look to right edge of frame and see big square blocks. Then imagine little swarms of these flickering randomly every few seconds:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...el/Blocky1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...el/Blocky2.jpg

Settings are 24p with cinema gamma, auto-shutter, instant auto-focus and image stabilization enabled. Help me out here folks - have I got a bad unit or is this what everyone is dealing with and, if so, is there any way to make it stop?
Steven Schuldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 12:10 AM   #2
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

have you tried tape head cleaner ?

when my HV 20 does this i clean the heads ...
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 03:07 AM   #3
Major Player

Yes, looks like MiniDV dirty heads (personally never happened to my HV20). Simple fix, as Don suggested.

If it doesn't, let us and Canon know.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders