hv20 - only phantom power mics? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old December 12th, 2007, 04:46 PM   #1
Trustee

hv20 - only phantom power mics?

I have been trying to get a computer mic (1/8 stereo) and another mic (similar) to work with my HV20, but it doesn't seem to work. BUT when I use my XLR mic (with battery power), it works fine. I find this a bit strange when I have two older model camcorders that ALL the mics work fine with...

Is the HV20 only capable of external mic with phantom power? Is there a switch or something that I missed?

Thanks
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 05:07 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Good question. I wonder about that too. I just realized all my mini plug mics do have battery power, and I have never tried a computer mic I have on the HV20, or any other camera with a miniplug. So that raises the question as to whether the computer supplies phantom power through the miniplug for computer mics..
Old December 12th, 2007, 05:24 PM   #3
Trustee

Would you mind checking for me Chris? Thanks
Old December 12th, 2007, 06:00 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I'll check it out this evening..
Old December 15th, 2007, 09:17 AM   #5
Trustee

Chris, did you have a chance to test it yet?
Old December 15th, 2007, 01:18 PM   #6
Wrangler

Some computer mics require external power provided over the audio cord by the computer audio card. (And some camcorders do provide this power, but Canons do not). The HV-20 does NOT provide power for an external mic. See page 62 of the (NTSC) manual.

BTW: phantom power is NOT internal power provided by a battery in a mic. It is usually ~48 VDC provided by a preamp to a microphone using a balanced connection (usually XLR connectors). Check the microphone in question specification to determine if it needs or can use phantom power.

Computer-furnished power is not "phantom" power, it usually is a DC bais, typically about 5 volts, on the "hot" audio lead from the mic.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders