CPU requirements for HD editing - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old August 6th, 2007, 11:56 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enea Lanzarone View Post
Things you could do to improve performance (no guarantee, but at least you can try):

- make sure you use the latest drivers for your graphics chip (in your case that would be the ATI Catalyst Drivers). Also, make sure your system is set up to use maximum hardware acceleration.
- defrag your harddisk
- this one may be the most important: use a different player for your m2t files. You could download Media Player Classic (looks like an old Windows Media Player), which is configureable in almost any way. Especially you can choose the decoding method (hardware overlay, software only etc.). Tweak the settings and see if you can make your m2t files run smoothly. Another alternative is VLC media player, which handles HDV files nicely as well.

Good luck, I'm sure you can sort it out!
Thanks for your help! I haven't updated my video drivers in a while. I shall do that.
Old August 7th, 2007, 01:30 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Ames View Post
Thanks for your help! I haven't updated my video drivers in a while. I shall do that.
One way I get decent perf with moviemaker/Ulead is that the edit window is small (in moviemaker you can also adjust the size so you find the sweet spot if there's one). Of course you don't see much detail but for deleting scenes it's good enough.

I certainly would try moviemaker since it's lightweight and sure not much functionality, but could be performant enough on a slower system.

On a notebook I did have a utility to fix the 'speedstep' to 16 and that certainly made a difference watching HD movies (can't remember name of that freeware program).
Luc Fender is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders