VHS Transfer question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old November 27th, 2006, 02:35 PM   #1
Regular Crew

VHS Transfer question

I am not sure if this is the proper place for this but here we go.

I would like to take some scene from a vhs tape, put them on dv via my GL-2 and then log that footage and work with it in Vegas. Can I and, how is the easiest way to do this w/ my GL-2.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Bradley
Bradley D Barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 06:45 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Bradley,

You simply need to put your GL2 in VCR mode and select 'VCR set-up and DV OUT: ON' in the menu. Then, connect the 1/8 to RCA cables to the RCA output of your VCR (I mean the VHS player this time...). Press 'play' on the VCR and then capture the signal into your NLE. You might want to use the S-Video cable for a better signal but RCA should do fine.

Phil
Philippe Messier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 08:46 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Phil,

Thank you very much. I knew it would be relativley simple. Is that in the manual? I lent my manual to a friend but never asked him to look for me! Thank you again,

Bradley.
Old November 28th, 2006, 09:17 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Yes, it's in the manual. See page 103, "Digitally Outputting Analog Video and Audio Signals (A-D Converter).

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 11:43 AM   #5
Old Boot

If using Vegas, you'll also need to change 2 of the CAPTURE settings in the Capture software:

#1 - Options > Preferences > General > UNCHECK "Enable DV Device Control" - you don;t want Vegas thinking it can control a "stream"!

#2 - Options > Preferences > Capture > UNCHECK "Enable DV Scene detection" - You don't want Vegas thinking it can detect scene/time+date changes of a converted stream of VHS, even though it IS a DV stream! Otherwise it WILL attempt to do so!

G
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 04:51 PM   #6
Wrangler

Be aware that if the VHS tape is copy protected (e.g., macrovision) you probably will not be able to run it through the analog inputs of the GL.
Old November 29th, 2006, 05:36 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Better option: Save the step through the GL-2 and get a hardware box.

When I was looking to transfer over all my old VHS tapes, I researched and bought a Plextor M-402 USB2 converter. They run $100-150 and the newer ones can be used as a TIVO-type recorder too. They have built-in MPEG hardware so the files can be saves as avis or mpegs directly. Then I just opened them in Vegas for editing and burned my discs with DVDArchitect.

http://www.plextor.com/english/products/M402U.htm

Worked brilliantly....
Tim OBrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 08:49 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks guys,

Graham made it simple. Thanks for all of the other advice. I will not do this sort of thing again. It was a favor for a friend that had only one VHS tape, and wanted it to "live on". So I said I would try to help.

See what you get for trying to be nice people.! I guess I got to meet other nice people like you all!

Cheers! (As Graham would say!)

Bradley
Old November 30th, 2006, 05:33 AM   #9
Wrangler

Tim - How do you like the Plextor device?
I see Tigert Direct has reconditioned units for about $50 after rebate.
Old December 1st, 2006, 08:39 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Well I wouldn't have posted the suggestion if I didn't like it!
:-))

It works great (although the bundled video editing software was crashing garbage - I switched over to Sony Vegas Studio and had zero problems after that. The capture utility they have is great tho.) Just make sure you use it on a USB2 plug, as USB1 wont work.

I copied over all my old VHS tapes to mpeg and put them on all on DVD. Made the wife VERY happy to have all the old baby tapes archived and safe!

Now that I've got a digital GL-2 I probably won't get too much use out of it, but I don't regret spending every penny on it.
Tim OBrien is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders