Wide Angle Lens Converter for GL / XM - Page 12 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old July 7th, 2003, 08:52 AM   #166
Regular Crew

from what I've gleaned

from my research I learned that the less expensive options have a lot of image quality issues. You can get cheaper lenses but owners of GL2s prob won't be interested.The more expensive century optics lenses are quite good from what I've read but the consensus in my research essentially said the canon was the sweet spot in terms of price/quality. I have one on order myself.
Old July 7th, 2003, 12:24 PM   #167
Regular Crew

Here are my findings. I tested both the $400 Century Optics .65x and Canon WD-58H wide angle adapters side-by-side.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ighlight=wd58h
Old July 7th, 2003, 01:10 PM   #168
Major Player

Yea, I've seen that thread before before he revised it. I guess it's pretty much the Canon's or nothing I assume. I've seen a Kenko ProWide .65x which is said to be pretty good but it's almost as much as the Canon's lens.

I'm in the buying accessories mode right now. I've gotten the Glidacam 2000 Pro, 5 DV tape, a filter kit, and I ordered a tripod. It starts adding up and I don't even have a light.

I was thinking about getting the VL-10i video light because it doesn't require Canon's GL2's power source so I could move it around if I needed to.

I also don't have a carrying case/hard case. Oh woo is me.
It's a great camera but without accessories it's just that a camera.
Old July 7th, 2003, 03:56 PM   #169
Regular Crew

Canon WA better on Sony, too?

Brendan,
This question is somewhat OT, but do you have any data/opinions on whether the Canon WA has a better image than the Century on a Sony VX-2000? In other words, would your tests apply to the Sony as well?
Thanks.
-- Allen
Allen Brodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2003, 09:03 PM   #170
Regular Crew

Yes, the adapters perform identically on the Sony (they are the same adapters). Also, the Canon WD-58 performs noticeably better than the more-expensive Sony 0.7x W/A adapter as well. I have the Sony adapter with the VX2000, but no longer use it because the Canon is superior.
Old July 7th, 2003, 10:04 PM   #171
Regular Crew

I have read that the Optex anamorphic lens is better than the Century. Is it the same for the Wide angle?

It will be interesting to compare the WD-58 to the Optex to see if one is better than the other. Anyone has done this test?
Marc Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2003, 02:17 AM   #172
Inner Circle

Brendan,

My Raynox 0.66 wide angle is fully zoom through, so I'm thinking about other WA lenses. I can't distinguish the Canon WD-58 from the WD-58H. Which of these two fit on a VX-2000 ?
Are they fully zoom through ? Thank you .

http://www.promax.com/Products/Detail/16148

http://www.digitalfotoclub.com/products2/Canon_Canon_WD-58_0_7x_Wide_Angle_f_GL1_3107a002.html
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2003, 06:55 AM   #173
Regular Crew

Hi Brendan,

Thanks for the info. I would like to see those screen shots!

Cheers,

Dirk
Dirk Goris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2003, 09:07 AM   #174
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Gints Klimanis : My Raynox 0.66 wide angle is fully zoom through, so I'm thinking about other WA lenses. I can't distinguish the Canon WD-58 from the WD-58H. Which of these two fit on a VX-2000 ?

They are the same adapter. The "H" comes with the hood (which I believe is the only way they sell it now).

Both fit the 58mm screw mount of the GL2 and VX2000 and should perform much better then the Raynox.
Old July 10th, 2003, 12:39 PM   #175
Inner Circle

Interesting that Brendan thinks the OIS is seriously degraded when using a zoom through wide-angle converter. If any of you other folk think so, try this. Fit your wide-angle converter and zoom to telephoto. Handholding the combo as still as you can, toggle between OIS on and off and see if you agree with him. I don't.

Oh, maybe at the wide end it doesn't work as well as the camera on its own, but why buy a zoom through then? OK, switch off the OIS if you've bought a non zoom through w/angle, but for all other occasions leave OIS turned on. It's an amazingly transparent technology that closes in on magic.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2003, 12:53 PM   #176
Old Boot

H stands for Hood . . .

"I can't distinguish the Canon WD-58 from the WD-58H. "

D'yer know why? - there isn't - you're correct. The "H" is the model that "includes" the Sun Hood - simple as that!

Cheers,

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2003, 01:19 PM   #177
Major Player

Tom, I agree with you. There is not a single reason why OIS would degrade if a WA is used. OIS is a angular camera motion correction system which is not influenced by a WA adapter lens.
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2003, 03:31 PM   #178
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Andre De Clercq : Tom, I agree with you. There is not a single reason why OIS would degrade if a WA is used. OIS is a angular camera motion correction system which is not influenced by a WA adapter lens. -->>>

I'm sorry, but OIS is degraded when any adapter is added to the front -- in my experience. There is actually a very simple, viable explanation for it, but I have since forgotten it.

Try it for yourself. Both the W/A and TC adapters degrade IS effectiveness.
Old July 10th, 2003, 04:09 PM   #179
Major Player

Brendan, can you explain what kind of degradation you did experience. Do you see other effects than motion stabilisation when OIS is on? On the effectiveness point, you should know that OIS is based on angular motion detection based on gyro sensors. The compensation degree is never 100% for the whole motion (shake) frequency spectrum, so you'll allways get some remaining motion effects or not fully compensated angles of motion. The remaining uncompensated angular components translate into image shifts which are lens focal length dependent. So tele will allways result in more shake residues than wide. WA adapters are just (together with the standard lens) optical systems with short overall focal length and don't change this compensation behavier.
B.t.w. I have VX2000 and WD-58. I never expirienced negative effects...
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2003, 05:17 PM   #180
Wrangler

The adapter may change the calibration factors for the VAP action vs. sensed motion making it less effective.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders