Can this be done and how......... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old September 16th, 2005, 11:01 AM   #1
Major Player

Can this be done and how.........

I'd like to use the GL-2 as a webcam.

I need to have a high quality video image to send overseas.

What software would be needed if any and how would everything be connected and set-up?

Anyone ever try it?How about Yahoos free (vox) messenger service?

Thanks in advance.

Yes,of course and the budget for such a endeavour is very modest
Bruce Pelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2005, 11:53 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I read a post once about someone using an XL2 for MSN Messenger, so there should be a way. I'm not sure how "high quality" a webcam program will be, though. You may want to look at the "Windows Media Encoder" (available from MS via free download I think) and do something more like a streaming webcast. Connection speed will likely be the real determining factor of quality.

Do you need two-way video? Does it have to be live, or would record-and-send be enough?
There's no way for you to know if what I'm saying is true unless you know what the truth is, and there's no way for you to know what the truth is unless there is a truth that you can know. -- Frank Peretti
Jeremy Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2005, 12:50 PM   #3
Wrangler

You can do it with the GL camera and it will look much better than a standard webcam. I use my Panasonic 953 for just such a thing and I recently used the XL2 as well. If the software recognizes a firewire camera attached, then you should be fine. Canon also has DV Messenger software that is designed for exactly this purpose.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2005, 03:52 PM   #4
Inner Circle

all chat utilities , including messenger, netmeeting and so on ... are performing poorly on video transmission.
the only easy way to send high quality video is to use windows media encoder.
you can create a stream profile matching exactly your need and possibilities.
do not forget that ADSL is usually very slow for upload and bandwith is not stable.
if you got 512k , you can create a stream at 350k.
this allows for a 320x240 pixel at 25 fps with a real good quality.
if you expect a full SD (720x576 at 20fps) you will need a good 1Mb at least.
to compress the video, any P4 will be ok.
I use such way to make direct video link between Switzerland and Florida.
You can even create a web page embedding a mediaplayer object, so people just need to link tio that page to see video.
use dynamic IP provider to create an url, so people can link to this url even if your IP address is changing.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2005, 10:00 PM   #5
Inner Circle

web cam stuff

Bruce,

There are some free softwares out there. You could look up eyeball chat. I used it for awhile with a distant aquaintance. I was actually surprised at the quality of the picture. Most internet stuff is poor.

Gus
Dale Guthormsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2005, 04:27 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I can use my XM2 with msn and aim messengers.

But when trying with yahoo, I get an error message, saying "wrong/to large image size".
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders