Dead Pixel - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old September 25th, 2002, 07:04 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Thanks

Thanks Chris, that was pretty helpful. And I guess it comes down to the fact that this board wouldn't even be around if it was that huge of an issue, because we would all be using Sony cameras instead of Canon. So I guess it's back to the drawing board, VX2000 or PD150, or GL2 or XL1s... Time to keep reading past posts.. as there are lengthy discussions about this subject already. Thanks again

Moore
Jason D. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2002, 03:34 AM   #17
New Boot

Well I have just purchased a Sony PD150 because I am sick of all the problems I have had with my canon XM1(GL1). I'll never buy Canon again. My XM1 is only 20 months old( 4 months of that probably spent in Canon Service centre) but is back at Canon New Zealand workshop again for the 3rd time. I have probably only recorded less than 20 one hour tapes in that time.

Latest problems are a smudge(bacterial maybe) on the inside of the front lens element, and a dead pixel on the CCD. I mentioned that the smudge could be seen when the camera was pointing in the direction of the sun(i.e. backlit, no sun visible in viewfinder). The technician then said the dead pixel was probably caused by pointing the camera at the sun and therefore is not a Canon problem. Only problem is I have never(knowingly) pointed it at the direct sun. Technician says the only way to fix it is to replace it at a cost of NZ$1000!(approx US$470). He made no mention of CCD masking.

Another issue I have with Canon is that there service is so slow. Each time the XM1 has gone into Canon Service, they have had it for at least 3 weeks and in one case 6 weeks. . . .. and they assured me when I complained that it was in the priority que because it was a more expensive camera! Don't know what the waiting time would be on a common old Hi 8 but it must be measured in months.

With my Sony purchase I have been following some PD150 and VX2000 forums and I cannot remember seeing any mention of dead pixel(on the CCD) issues. Go to a Canon XM1 forum and there are plenty. . . . looks to me to be quite a problem.
Mark Sudfelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2002, 07:46 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Exactly

THat's exactly what prompted this question... I've seen no mention of CCD problems on any of the PD150/VX2000 boards that I've been following, but plenty of them on the Canon boards. I've also read lots of posts similar to yours, people who have had a GL1/XL1S for a short period of time, and 90% of that time it's been in repair... maybe they just got a "lemon" but I still haven't read any posts like that from Sony users.

Moore
Jason D. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2002, 02:37 PM   #19
Major Player

I wonder if messaging the dead pixel would bring it back to life. People have done this with laptop LCD's.
Bill Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2002, 09:50 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Dead -VS- Hot

I just got a GL2 last week from ZGC. (They are *so* great to deal with, btw.) There is one bad pixel in the flip out lcd. I called ZGC and they immediately issued me a Canon RMA# and agreed to exchange it no problem.

That said, allow me to ramble for a moment.... I have been an IT proffesional in various capacities for a long time now. I have a lot of experience with large LCD displays from both the vendor and consumer perspectives. Technology has continued to improve over the years, but it can still be said that it is very challenging to create an LCD display without any defects. Most vendors will not accept a return on a laptop computer sized display with less than 10 dead pixels, or less than 3 or 4 dead pixels in a group. If my GL2 had a single inactive pixel I would have not thought twice about it. There is every possibility the replacement would have the same issue, or more.

A pixel that runs constantly at maximum intensity is another story entirely. In my case, near the center of the screen there is a 100% red pixel at all times. This is *way* more distracting than an inactive pixel. I found it drawing my eye and causing me to look "at" rather than "into" the display. For most (unfortunately not all) LCD computer monitor vendors, a single hot pixel would warrant an exchange no questions asked.

I would hope this would be the case for lcd viewfinders on these cameras as well. If not... I suppose this winds up just being a big plug for ZGC. Well, I really *am* impressed with them. :)

lyd
Dave Grey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders