XM2 Eyepiece wide-angler/magnifier? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old February 2nd, 2004, 11:20 AM   #1
Old Boot

XM2 Eyepiece wide-angler/magnifier?

Anybody know of the above? If not, what would be the dioptre considerations in placing a purpose ground "lens" between the eye and the existing eyepiece. That would give a "wider" and "further out" option. I've just seen the options for "high-end" cameras, and would like to explore the options for my humbler XM2. Oh yes, I can get lenses ground and shaped to what I want. I'm also guessing I would need to construct some "cradle" that would somehow snap into the existing ridges around the XM2 eye piece.

Nice idea? Or worthless fancy . . . ?

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2004, 04:36 PM   #2
RED Code Chef

I'm wondering why not simply use the flipout LCD screen....

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2004, 04:55 PM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I'm aware of such an eyepiece magnifier for the XL1s -- actually for the FU-1000 b&w viewfinder for that camera, which is a standard full-size viewfinder. But not for the LCD viewfinders of the GL2 or even the XL1s.

Century Optics does make a magnifier for the GL2's LCD panel. It also provides a sunshade. Looks like a very good compromise.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2004, 03:01 AM   #4
Old Boot

Thanks Lads . . some feedback . .

Rob, I find the LCD is good for framing and holding the cammie away from my body . .but for me, the manual focus aint that exact within the LCD. I really need to go to the E/P - yeah? But I guess you may have thought that too . . Or maybe not . .I wear spectacles and need to get a real good image, to be sure of my focus. Now if I had a "bigger" e/p AND in black and white . . phhooorghh GREAT! But this is my other gripe about this range of cammies - Sony too - Black and White E/P? Why not . We got zebra bars and all sorts of image modifacation present AT the e/p . .so why not a Menu switch that converts the colour strewam to straight b/w - yeah? Now that would give me real sharp focus . . .

Ken, thanks . . . but if you read the stuff above it isn't purely the business of seeing the LCD bigger . . and yes it was a recent post somewhere, where I saw this e/p magnifier for the higher end cammies that got me going . . mmm . . I saw the LCD thing, thanks . .I don't like the idea of all that "torque", "leverage" being tranmitted to the LCD hinge - yeah? How would it affect my warranty - just a thought -yeah? Looking at the results it aint that much larger. However, I'll show this to one of my optics relatives that has access to lens grinders . . if you/I/we could think o=f the dioptres needed to fit "over" the e/p then I could submit an option. Okay, plus there is another option here, in that I* could "envisage" a combined e/p magn8ifier PLUS an extension - viz the I-Cuff - that would take my eyeball way from thee/p thus giving me a better clearer run at the subject. Less misting up of the spectacles and a sweeter all round approach to viewing into what is alfter a tiny tiny screen - yeah?

Interesting . . .

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders