Wedding Video HORROR! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old October 20th, 2003, 06:28 AM   #31
Regular Crew

With myself operating on one camera I find that bad enough trying to get organised as weddings in the UK seem to quite fast paced and I would not have enough time to setup a second camera even if it was left running with no operator intervention.

I strongly feel that operating with two camera's would require two operators. Is that the feeling in all your experiences? Don't get me wrong, two camera's are a good thing as long as the customer does not mind having two people wandering around with camera's. In talking to customers at shows etc, many clients prefer only one camera so no huge intrusion on the day. Attitudes in other parts of the world maybe different so I can only comment on the UK perspective.

Many thanks

Steve
Steven Salmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2003, 06:20 PM   #32
Regular Crew

That is quite the same here in Singapore. There are times when two cameras are good say wedding dinner is a huge ballroom, but when come to chinese tea ceremony and church wedding, space will be a great concern, also extra camera needs extra crew that means the price would be higher which many of the couple would prefer to keep cost down.....

ys
Yow Siang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2003, 11:30 PM   #33
Old Boot

. . oh . . again I got the wrong end of the stick here! I was under the impression all this 2 camera chat was about having the "safety-net" of having ANOTHER backup camera, just in case the first broke down . . . . typical of me . . . . Yeh . . extra crew extra money . . . . better product though! It's the way you come across at the intitial meeting in showing the value of a 2 camera crew that will convince them either way.

My first "Project" was to film 2 guys making a wedding video. Do I think it has been used by the people to convince a prospect to go with a 2 camera crew . . I'm not sure . . . . it's all in the pitch . . . it's all about educating your potential clients to the value of 2 cameramen - yeah?

Look this is sorta of topic . . but I thought I needed to spell it out . . happy days!

G
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2003, 09:14 AM   #34
Major Player

Aside from the obvious safety net of two cameras, the finished product will be much more compelling for your viewers. With good editing technique, its amazing how much better your productions will be. We show clients sample demos with cutaways, reaction shots, etc. and that is what they want. I believe in our neck of the woods that you are at a distinct competitive disadvantage if you don't use multiple cams. I also think it's much better if you're using matching cameras. You don't need multiple cams for an entire wedding but definately for the ceremony and optionally for the introductions and toasts. I know having a second shooter can be problematical for some...I'm fortunate that my wife is my camera 2 partner.
Bob
Bob Harotunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2003, 04:46 PM   #35
Major Player

I would never, ever give a one cam wedding option to a customer. I always use at least two cams by myself. The paranoia of a defective cam is too great. One catch all cam running un-manned and one I operate manually is the only way I would think of doing a wedding. I have used three cams by myself at once, manually operating two main cams in the same area and the third as a catch all in the front of the church. It is a frenzied hassle packing up the equipment and lights after the ceremony and then racing to the reception, but it's worth it to me and the customer who wonders out loud where all the extra camera angles came from without the extra manpower, as we watch the finished product together.
Bill Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2003, 08:09 PM   #36
Regular Crew

Bill

Bill, just wondered, do you alway watch the video with your couple? I have and it is fun, probaby the fifth time i have watched it in total, but enjoy seeing and listening to their comments. It is good for the next job too.

But always wondered if I was steeling the privacy of the enjoyment from them. What are your feelings.
419-696-0872
Trig Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2003, 04:55 AM   #37
Major Player

Some times the viewing is not with the couple, but with the parents who arranged the videotaping. I guess most of the weddings I have done I know either the parents or the couple; it depends on the relationship. It helps also to bring your own monitor. I have a 17" laptop and I set up a pair of Labtec exterior speakers at the viewing, showing it at the customer's home. Otherwise I run the risk of them watching it on a huge 10 year old 52" projection TV which turns your video into a fuzzy horror, depending on their set up. Viewing with the customer is fun but not mandatory, but it is always best to warn them of the downside of VHS copies played on huge projection TV's and recommend them to receive a DVD copy instead. I burn DVD copies as well as edit the whole video on my Powerbook using Final Cut Express. Editing on my set up is so much fun as well as rock steady reliable.

http://homepage.mac.com/bhardy3/PhotoAlbum34.html
Bill Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2003, 09:42 AM   #38
Regular Crew

Remove when rewinding/fast fowarding + Vignetting

I have the same exact problem. I try to rewind or fast forward, and when it kicks into "high gear" it stops, and I get "remove the cassette". I've not even had 20 tapes through this since I bought it last December. I only use the Panasonic 63PQ as well. To be honest, this cam has not been impressive to say the least. The vignetting on mine is HORRIBLE , and I've posted about both these issues before. My warranty is up on Dec. 20th I think, so I've got to send this thing off. I'm praying it's a completely different camera when I get it back.

http://www.coalmarch.com
Michael Botkin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders