Question re: VL-3 Light on GL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old June 17th, 2003, 12:34 PM   #1
New Boot

Question re: VL-3 Light on GL2

Hello,

I recently purchased the GL2 and am having a lot of fun with it. What a difference compared to my Sony TRV-11!

Anyway, I've been reading through a ton of posts here trying to learn more on the use of the camera (great forum, BTW!). Specifically, I was reading up on microphones & XLR adaptors. I have a fair amount of reading to do on this yet but one question comes to mind.

If I wanted to use the VL-3 light at the same time as a different microphone (camera mounted shotgun), am I locked in to using the MA-300 adaptor? I've not been able to figure out how to hook both up at the same time if necessary.

Thanks!
Lyle
Lyle Pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2003, 02:47 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Hello Lyle,
Yes, since the VL-3 (3w) light occupies, and is powered through, the GL2's hot shoe I'm pretty sure you would have to use a different XLR adapter (ex: BeachTek, Studio One). The MA-300 has a top shoe but I don't think it's "live". Not having an MA-300 myself, I could be mistaken.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2003, 03:13 PM   #3
Old Boot

Got that right Ken!

No supply through the MA300 - I've got it and I had to buy a lamp that has its own power supply. It was a toss-up, EITHER a Canon Lamp accessory OR the MA300 - went with the later. Problem here is that when I've got the MA300 sitting on top of XM2 plus the Senni mic in its clamp, THEN I place this battery [ weight ]lamp on top, apart from me looking like an alien extra from a '50s B movie sci-fi holding a ludicrous Ray gun - my basic engineering physics tells me there is a lot of "leverage" = "snap" at the hotshoe connection to the XM2 body. This connection is, of course, plastic - rugged - but still plastic.

My only quibble so far with Canon's design on this is that they went a very long way in producing a smashing cammie - truly! - but quite frankly they lost the plot at this final accessory, the Lamp OR MA300 - not both - shame really.

Sooooo.... another type of adaptor, Beechtek or whatever, gives you a connection to the Hot Shoe for your lamp - yeah? - The other PLUS for this is that the lamp would then be powered off the Lith Ion battery - this is a good thing. The battery on my external lamp has its only 12 minute duration Cad. battery - not good.

Regards

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2003, 03:16 PM   #4
Major Player

If you wanted to hold off on an XLR adaptor and use the hot shoe for a light you could get a flash bracket at a camera store and mount that from your tripod hole (some will allow a tripod to be used as well). Then mount the shotgun mic on the flash shoe of the bracket. These sorts of brackets run about $10 or so.
Jeff Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2003, 03:20 PM   #5
Major Player

Another option would be to use the VL3 (which is great for close interview low light work) and mount your mic on a bracket like NRG's http://www.nrgresearch.com/grip2bracket.htm
Still requres the use of a XLR adapter but it will work.

I'm working on a combination XLR Adapter/Wireless Receiver/Mic mount for the GL1/2 that will keep the ME66 (with windscreen)out of frame, we'll see how well it works.
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2003, 04:50 AM   #6
New Boot

Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestions!

Using a camera bracket had not occured to me and as it turns out, I have one I use with my still cameras. Seems like it will work fine for the rare instances I might need to use it.

It extends about 4" off the left side of the GL2 with just enough room to open the LCD. Access to the custom keys is a bit of a challenge but I'm not too worried about that. The vertical extension is 5" high. Once I place a mic on it, I may join Graham as another extra in that Sci-Fi movie!

Now to make that microphone purchase decision....

Thanks again,
Lyle
Lyle Pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2003, 06:51 AM   #7
Major Player

I think for the most flexibility, the BeachTek adapter DXA-4P works great and it frees your hotshoe for a bracket like the Cool Lux (MD3000?) for a light and mic combo. Only issues...added weight and mic windscreen may show a shadow when using light.
Bob
Bob Harotunian is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders