Tape Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old May 31st, 2003, 01:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Tape Question

I have concluded my tape research and have chosen to stick with Fuji Tapes.

My GL2 is brand new (only a couple of hours worth of shooting) and Fuji was the first tape used in the camera. However, being somewhat new to this level of camera equipment, I did not realize until recently that you are not supposed to mix tapes.

Bottom line: I have used Fuji and TDK tapes in the camera. Because the camera has had such little usage I am wondering if these circumstances warrant a head cleaning. I have not had any problems with mosaics or stripes and I don't want to clean them unless it is highly advised to do so. My hunch is that I won't have to clean as long as I stick with Fuji going forward.

Thanks,
Alex
Alex Geschke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2003, 01:15 PM   #2
High School Student

I use Fuji tapes also, they are great.

Apparently, from what I read, it's just a matter of mixing "dry" and "wet" lubricants, that some tapes use. As far as I know, the only 2 tapes that use "wet" lubricant, are Sony's, and one kind of the Panasonics. Also, JVC tape, is identical to Fuji tape, and to add to that, most other tape (One kind of Panasonic, TDK, Maxell) appear to be manufactured by Fuji also...

Your camera will be fine...just stick with the Fuji's...
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2003, 01:17 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Alex,
I think you may be OK without cleaning, but if you notice any stripes or mosaics... then pop in the DRY head cleaner. Play it for about 10 seconds... thats all.

Thanx,
Tustin Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2003, 01:23 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks to both of you, that's what I was hoping to hear.
Alex Geschke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2003, 01:51 AM   #5
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by Alex

Apparently, from what I read, it's just a matter of mixing "dry" and "wet" lubricants, that some tapes use. As far as I know, the only 2 tapes that use "wet" lubricant, are Sony's, and one kind of the Panasonics. -->>>

Hi all,

I have come late to the discussion. Can anyone tell me which one kind of Panasonic tape uses the "wet" lubricant? I am currently using Panasonic tapes but would like to switch to TDK.

-neal
Neal J So is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2003, 02:33 AM   #6
Outer Circle

Why TDK? Because they are inexpensive?
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2003, 03:57 AM   #7
New Boot

Yes. I read somewhere that TDK made decent tapes, no? If these tapes aren't very good, please let me know.

In case I don't switch to TDK, but stick to Panasonic tapes, which Panasonic tapes are the wet ones, and which are the dry ones? Before I found this discussion, I picked up a new pack of Panasonic tapes, but they aren't the same as the ones I had been using. I am wondering if I should return them and try to find my original tapes.

-neal
Old June 14th, 2003, 04:41 AM   #8
Wrangler

Wet lub is the standard for consumer MiniDV. A number of years ago ther was an issue between Sony and other brand "wet' lubs, this was resolved in about 1998 or so .

The high end Panasonic tape (marked S-AME technology) is the so called dry lub tape, rumored to have been developd to ensure compatability with their DVCPro format tape in Panasonic VCRs.
Old June 14th, 2003, 01:56 PM   #9
Outer Circle

Neal, I have some good tape links here. As I find more, I add them to this list.

http://www.dvfreak.com/tape.htm
Old June 14th, 2003, 03:21 PM   #10
New Boot

Thanks All

Thank you everyone for the information. It is very helpful.

I think I will stick to the Panasonic tapes, especially since I have a Panasonic cam.

My next question: I have used 6 tapes from Panasonic that come in packaging marked "DVCassette, LinearPlus, DVM60, ME".

I found a website that sells these tapes, and they are AY-DVM60
http://www.supermediastore.com/panasonicminidvtape.html

When I went back to the electronics store to pick up more tapes, I could not find the tapes with the same packaging, but found Panosonic tapes in packaging "DVC, DVM60, ME, AY-DVM60EJ3P "

Are these the same tapes? If they are not, would it be safe to use the new tapes? Does anyone know if the lubricants are the same?

I would understand if you guys get frustrated with my questions, but I am a true newcomer to video and MiniDV. Any help you can send my way would be much appreciated.

-neal
Old June 14th, 2003, 03:23 PM   #11
Major Player

A search will turn up some recent threads on tapes. According to two different Panasonic reps ALL Panasonic Master tapes use the same lube. I think it was Ken who also pointed out that Panasonic and Fuji tapes are made by the same manufacturer (??).

The best advice I've seen on the subject is still to pick one brand and stick with it.
Jeff Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2003, 03:33 PM   #12
New Boot

Ok, Thanks Jeff

I think I am comfortable using the new tapes. They might even be the same tapes in new packaging.

-neal
Old June 14th, 2003, 04:51 PM   #13
Outer Circle

Some Panas are wet, some are dry. Some of Pana's tape are made by Fuji. Fuji is a company that makes high quality media storage. Check out what they make on their website. Fuji = quality. :)
Old June 15th, 2003, 12:38 AM   #14
New Boot

Ok, now I have conflicting info. One says all Panasonic tapes use the same lubrication. One says some use wet, some use dry.

Does anyone happen to use the Panasonic AY-DVM60 tapes?
Old June 15th, 2003, 01:04 AM   #15
Outer Circle

If it doesn't say on one the links on that page I provided, or on the tape package, I'd contact Pana Tech for your answer. That's what I do: go for the horse's mouth.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders