EOS 6D - What do you think? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old January 7th, 2013, 01:27 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Re: EOS 6D - What do you think?

A number of posters in this thread have suggested that Canon "crippled" the smartphone application so it would not work with video, for marketing reasons. I don't think this conclusion is correct. Capturing, processing and particularly compressing HD video is computational intensive. I think the processor in the camera is running at its maximum sustainable throughput when recording HD. There are no computing resources left to support a wireless smartphone application if you want live video on the screen when recording.

Live video would require a second compression application on the phone processor generating a 1 or 2 megabit per second stream for the WiFi connection, running concurrently with the main compressor program for the memory card. You might think that the 20 to 30 megabit per second data used for recording on the memory card could be streamed over WiFi but this would eat up a lot of battery power and generate heat in the camera. Further, the smartphone would probably have problems decoding so much data. I tried to play a 25 megabit per second MP4 on my new Samsung Android phone but it stuttered and macroblocked.

You may ask how can the Panasonic GH3 do it? If you watch the video embedded in an earlier post in this thread, it appears that the camera does not transmit live video when recording - only when in standby. A text message appears on the screen saying the phone is recording when you press record. And further, it seems that the recording is terminated by either a timer with duration preset from the smartphone or by pressing the record button on the camera. Not exactly a great application based on the video.

A remote smartphone application for still photography is easily within the capability of the camera. There is no demanding HD compression application running at the same time so the processor has the resources to create a low bit rate video datastream for the smartphone. Low bit rate means lower power consumption in the WiFi transmitter and less heat. The still photography smartphone application makes sense and works.

Finally, I would not want the computing resources or battery power in a camera used to support a remote smartphone video application as most users don't need the feature. I would rather see resources applied to produce better images. Anyone who needs or wants remote video can invest in the necessary equipment to do it.
Roger Keay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2013, 05:21 PM   #32
Major Player

Hi everyone!

Thinking about getting the 6D as a backup to my 5Diii (which I love!) but have one question:

On 5Diii the hdmi is 720p output for a monitor, is it like that on the 6D?

Thanks!
Silas Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2013, 12:41 PM   #33
Major Player

I believe the 6D is 720, but the 5Diii should be getting 1080 output with the April firmware upgrade.
You may have to shoot with the IPB codec to get 1080 output, but that remains to be seen.

I don't believe they are planning on clean 1080 output for the 6D. No announcement anyway.
Bob Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2013, 12:46 AM   #34
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Willis View Post
I believe the 6D is 720, but the 5Diii should be getting 1080 output with the April firmware upgrade.
You may have to shoot with the IPB codec to get 1080 output, but that remains to be seen.
You won't be shooting with IPB or any other compressed CODEC as Canon have promised the recording of "high-definition uncompressed video data (YCbCr 4:2:2, 8 bit)"
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2013, 07:56 AM   #35
New Boot

I have a 6D and love it. I performed a low light test and compared moire in 1080 30p to 720 30p. Moire is worse in 720p, but not that bad in 1080p. See for yourself.

Scott Hutchcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2013, 05:59 AM   #36
Major Player

Hi Guys,

About to purchase my 6D from NEW Canon EOS 6D Digital SLR Camera Body Kit 20.2 MP 1080p HD Video Black | eBay has anybody had any experience with this seller.

I have checked about 5 times to see if all looks ok, in terms of what's included in the box. It all seems ok but it's just a big purchase wondering if I am missing something as I have never purchased anything from eBay before.
Tariq Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2013, 07:06 AM   #37
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tariq Peter View Post
Hi Guys,

About to purchase my 6D from NEW Canon EOS 6D Digital SLR Camera Body Kit 20.2 MP 1080p HD Video Black | eBay has anybody had any experience with this seller.

I have checked about 5 times to see if all looks ok, in terms of what's included in the box. It all seems ok but it's just a big purchase wondering if I am missing something as I have never purchased anything from eBay before.
It's bound to be a grey import at that price (cheapest pukka UK price is £1599 from Wex). The address for that eBay seller is just a serviced office so probably just an accommodation address. I would be asking deep & searching questions about the exact details of the claimed 3-year warranty.

If I were to buy a grey import 6D I would be more inclined to purchase from HDEW who do at least have a proper bricks & mortar office in Surrey where you can even collect from by appointment New Canon 6D Body Only
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2013, 07:51 AM   #38
Trustee

I was also tempted by the low prices offered on grey imports.

You cannot go wrong buying a genuine UK version with UK support.

Pay the extra money and do the right thing.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2013, 12:09 PM   #39
Major Player

I did not even think it would be a gray import. Obviously cleverly written description, I did call my insurance company 'aaduki' who did say any camera I purchase in the UK or abroad is covered for theft or damage.
Tariq Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2013, 01:41 AM   #40
Inner Circle

I upgraded my two T3i to two 6D. I love it. The Moire pattern is no worst than 5D mark 2 but with super low light performance. Price is good too.
Old March 8th, 2013, 06:31 PM   #41
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Barker View Post
Hi everyone!

Thinking about getting the 6D as a backup to my 5Diii (which I love!) but have one question:

On 5Diii the hdmi is 720p output for a monitor, is it like that on the 6D?

Thanks!
I did a quick test, and 6D worked very well with HDMI monitors!
J.J. Kim is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD