No 1/50 shutter setting? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old May 29th, 2010, 01:03 AM   #1
Regular Crew

No 1/50 shutter setting?

Sorry guys but I think I've looked everywhere and I can't seem to find out why my newly acquired 5Dmkii doesn't have 1/50 shutter.. it goes from 1/30, 1/45, 1/60, etc. in either 24p or 30P recording mode ... where's the 1/50 ??? Is this bad? Can someone shed some light on this for me, please?
Gerald Baillgergeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2010, 01:40 AM   #2
Inner Circle

1/50th is a shutter speed that is useful when shooting 25fps in 50 hz countries to prevent flicker from fluorescents and other light sources. Not having this shutter speed It shouldn't be a problem in 60 Hz countries.

At 24 fps, 1/48th is the standard shutter speed and 1/45th is so close as to make no practical difference.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2010, 06:04 AM   #3
Trustee

Shutter speed has little to no bearing on flicker. Frame rate is the critical factor. At 25fps then 1/45 is so close to 1/50 the effect on motion blur is so minor as to be irrelevant
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2010, 06:15 AM   #4
Trustee

The 5D Mk2 does have 1/50th...
Old May 29th, 2010, 07:09 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Grant View Post
Shutter speed has little to no bearing on flicker. Frame rate is the critical factor. At 25fps then 1/45 is so close to 1/50 the effect on motion blur is so minor as to be irrelevant
You adjust the shutter speed to remove rolling/flickering on computer CTR screens and you shoot at a multiple of 1/60th when shooting 25 fps video in the USA under fluorescents. Also, shutter speed (usually given as the shutter angle) has to be adjusted to remove flicker from HMI lights that don't have a flicker free ballast when shooting at 24 fps in 50 Hz countries.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2010, 09:46 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Davies-Patrick View Post
The 5D Mk2 does have 1/50th...
My 5dmkii doesn't have 1/50.. is it because the guy I bought it from purchased it in Japan? I've gone thru every parameter and I've seen nothing..
Old May 29th, 2010, 09:52 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Has nothing to do with Japan :)

Got to Custom Function CF I and change "Exposure Level Increments" from 1/2 stop to 1/3 stop and you will have the 1/50 shutter speed.
Old May 29th, 2010, 09:57 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Perfect!! Thanks Ike!
Old September 6th, 2010, 05:13 PM   #9
New Boot

Yes!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Tamigian View Post
Has nothing to do with Japan :)

Got to Custom Function CF I and change "Exposure Level Increments" from 1/2 stop to 1/3 stop and you will have the 1/50 shutter speed.
Thank you so much, Ike! Man, I've been trying to figure that one out for four months!!! I just figured I had a flaw in my camera.
Kieth Arthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2010, 04:04 PM   #10
Regular Crew

...And yet you have to wonder how this happens in the first place. The 'default' is 1/3 stop increments, so how does it get onto 1/2?

Some might say they are returns from customers who tried them out before sending them back to the store. They're not factory reset, just sent back out to unsuspecting customers who think they must have a deranged 5DM2 in their midst.

Either that or they change the setting themselves by mistake!
Old September 12th, 2010, 01:11 PM   #11
New Boot

Well, in my case, I had bought a factory refurbished model from Adorama. I suppose that Canon should still have restored all the settings to their original factory defaults. I hear your point about just how thorough Canon's technicians are, even in their 'refurbishing' process.
Kieth Arthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2010, 06:42 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Kieth -

I bought a 5D2 brand new from a company at a good price, but had to send it back because after one week, the LCD display broke down completely. When they sent me a 'new' one back, I found it to be registered to someone else and the 'owner' had also been set by the first guy who had this (and must have returned it). As the 'sequential' numbering system of the images was up to around 550 or so, the guy who sent it back within the time frame must have had a jolly good play with it.

So yes, I sent it back again. When I buy new, I expect new! I'm not sure if I was right to do this or not and they were likely cursing me!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD