Farsighted solution at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:34 PM   #1
Trustee

Farsighted solution

I recently came to the conclusion that my slight farsightedness is making it hard to get critical focus with the LCD. Just as a test, I tried low-power reading glasses and they allow me to see the individual pixels of the LCD about 6" from my nose which is an acceptable distance regarding image size and working in tight spaces.

Before anyone says, "Search the forums", I have done that and simply became more confused. From what I can tell, loupes provide magnification and negative diopter adjustment but do nothing for positive (farsighted) diopter.

I also am accustomed to shooting in a fairly dynamic fashion with slightly low or high angles being an important capability. Low angles are easy enough with bending the knees, but I also shoot high angles and need to see the screen from below. None of the loupes allow visuals from below. I like that they block out light from above and the sides, but they do nothing for farsightedness besides magnification. I don't really need magnification but rather want to move the camera in closer and see more clearly. I also would like to keep composing with both eyes and avoid the discomfort of different brightness levels in each eye.

Is there a solution that would allow viewing the screen from several inches away as well as up close? Cinevate was talking about their Cyclops but that has not materialized. What sort of system would work for people without nearsightedness?
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 01:48 PM   #2
Trustee

Perhaps I should keep it simple. Is there any loupe made with positive diopter capability?

I am looking into "close-up" filters to see if they might do the trick. Unfortunately, there are few square closeup filters I could turn into a full-size corrective screen.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 09:53 AM   #3
Major Player

A dark cloth and reading glasses is the low tech approach. The dark cloth can even be a jacket.

I got past the feeling of looking silly under a dark cloth when I shot large format film. I have stronger than normal reading glasses on a string and can put my face a couple inches from the screen. As far as angles I have an ikam monitor.
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 02:26 PM   #4
Trustee

Thanks, Don. That is probably the direction I will go as I can't seem to get over shooting with the LCD visible from different camera positions. Maybe reading glasses and a velcro-on hood will by my happy medium. I tried strong reading glasses and they didn't make the focus distance much closer. I read about reading glasses and the focal distances only change from something like 4.75 inches to about 4 inches when going from weak to strong. For me, the 1.0+ diopter allows me to see perfectly up to the point my eyes start to cross and they don't completely destroy my distant vision.

I tried out a Z-focus last night and it does allow critical focus for farsighted people. I think I would want the 2.5x version as the 3x just puts the image too "in your face". I found composition a bit challenging but focus was easy enough.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD