5D in the "bigtime" - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old July 26th, 2009, 07:53 AM   #16
Regular Crew

My 5D stabilizing Rig

I find your Steadycam rig very cool...especially in light of completing my own modification of a Glidecam X-10 / HD2000 setup for the 5D. The sled was modified to allow an HDMI
cable to run down the sled tube, the sled has a Bogen quick release and the monitor is the smallHD DP1 which may soon take a HD feed off the 5D ( with the help of Magic
Lantern software by Tramm). The rig balances very easily with the new sled design and with lots of practice, even an editor/ excameraman (me) can get some very smooth moves from the system.
It will be nice to eventually use the Glue Tools / Canon software to take the clips and do a 29.97 conversion to Prores for editing in FCP. The modification process has had its challenges, but also has been lots of fun.
Tom Daigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2009, 08:09 AM   #17
Wrangler

Sounds like a good project, Tom. The monitor I'm using is straight up composite, it's a bit blocky with the image from the 5D but more than acceptable for framing purposes and is reasonably viewable in sunlight (which should be more of a consideration than resolution--doesn't matter how sharp the picture is if it washes out outdoors).

The big issue with the 5D, as all who have used it are familiar, is focus. It's really a two-part concern; having the wireless system to pull focus, and someone to operate it. As can be seen in the picture I have my Preston system in play for the former, but much more importantly I had a crack focus puller on the other end of it keeping it sharp. The Cinetape (horns visible on top of the camera) communicates via the Preston and delivers the distance readout right on the hand unit so the AC has as much information as possible to get the job done, but he is still using all of his wiles to keep things sharp within that tiny depth of field. Some AC's use HD monitoring when possible as an additional help but with this camera of course that is not yet possible while recording, even if an HDMI transmitter were somehow pressed into service).

For those not planning on spending the 5 figures on a Preston setup, the View Factor or imminent Hocus Focus will likely be looming in your future, but you'll still need a skilled focus puller...
Old July 26th, 2009, 10:02 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Good info to know about your focus system and operations. Luckily the projects I use the rig for (documentary, local/regional commercials) allow me a little less stringent demands.
I can optimize my DOF by shooting at 5.6 or higher to insure a wider range of focus.
Budgetary constraints these days demand creative alternatives ;-)
Tom Daigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2009, 11:48 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Charles:

Thanks for the "How its done" narative.... Very revealing to me about adaptation and change and the willingness of filmmakers to break new ground.
Old July 28th, 2009, 04:53 PM   #20
New Boot

Hi Charles!

I was told it was authorized to show the video of the helmet mount - hope it didn't get anyone in trouble! I ended up swapping emails with Shane that same day and he didn't seem to be upset that it had been posted.

I was concerned that there might be some issues but didn't hear any of the 'flap' directly so I assumed everything was ok.

Shane had even mentioned it in his bio for this conference...
Confirmed Speakers - Image Mechanics Expo - Collision Conference - August 29th and 30th, 2009
Mitch Aunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2009, 11:53 AM   #21
Major Player

Very cool Charles!

Did Panavision have to modify the 5D body in order to install the PV mount, or is it a non-destructive adapter?
Old August 6th, 2009, 02:34 PM   #22
Wrangler

The latter. We were also shooting footage with ZF's and Nikons.

The drawback with the PV mount is that 35mm is the widest prime that will work; The rear elements in the wider ones are too deep.
Old August 6th, 2009, 02:50 PM   #23
Trustee

I think I can live with 35mm. Just go ahead and send me one with a radio follow-focus just to make sure.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2009, 01:32 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Thank you so so much, Jon. I've purchased a Juicedlink CX231 as a result of your tests, with the idea in mind I can eventually hook it up to a Sony PCM-D50 if I want to go untethered.

I think tests like this, along with Tramm Hudson's Magic Lantern firmware, are what drastically transition the 5d from its limited roots into a viable professional tool. Power to the people.
Ryan Koo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 08:14 PM   #25
Wrangler

Shane is still shooting on "I am the Man"; I visited him today to pick up some gear of mine they have been renting and saw some footage and stills of what they've been up to. He's had a couple of 7D's on this past leg of the job along with their battery of 5D's and he reports that he uses these primarily with the wider angle Primos that won't work on the 5D. I saw pix of his custom mount with the Panavision 11-1 and 3-1 zooms (similar to the pix you may have seen at Phil Bloom's site, but much more sophisticated mounts and bracketry) and a number of different handheld rigs they have been using. I don't know if he will be releasing any of these images but they are pretty amazing!

The footage is looking unbelievable--this is not the biggest budget movie but it's big enough to get a "Hollywood" look and beyond, thanks to the sensors on the Canons. It's quite remarkable looking footage. I saw some images projected in their post suite (about a 12 foot screen) and they look beautiful.

Very cool stuff.
Old October 6th, 2009, 08:37 PM   #26
Obstreperous Rex

Yowza. Thanks for the update, Chas -- much appreciated!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 12:59 AM   #27
New Boot

that's very awesome
Lawrence Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2012, 01:42 PM   #28
Obstreperous Rex

Re: 5D in the "bigtime"

Press release issued by Canon today about this project:

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Digital SLR Cameras Shoot “Act of Valor” at DVInfo.net

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2012, 10:57 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Thanks for that. I had been wanting to see what their helmet rig looked like. That's pretty cool!
Brad Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2012, 10:20 AM   #30
Wrangler

I recently realized that this movie is actually my final Steadicam credit, due to the long period between shooting this movie and the release date, during which I closed shop on that particular pursuit. It was interesting to see the footage!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD