New firmware, or new hardware -- that's the question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Closed Thread

Old May 1st, 2009, 03:12 AM   #1
Major Player

New firmware, or new hardware -- that's the question

To determine the likelihood of Canon releasing a firmware fix for the MKII versus skipping directly to a new model, I did a quick lookup into the history of Canon's EOS releases.

The last four years break down to:

- 4 new models in 2005
- 2 new models in 2006
- 3 new models in 2007
- 4 new models in 2008

Hence, over the last four years, Canon released 3.25 new EOS models per year -- i.e., about one new model every 4th month.

Since it's now well over 6 months since Canon introduced its last EOS model (the lovely 5DMKII) I'm a bit surprised when people think it's unlikely that this elusive "firmware fix" will come in the form of a new model.

Although I'm more of a "hard numbers" guy when it comes to stuff like this, I'm quite curious to hear what logic (and/or history Canon has) that will support a different point of view.

-- peer
Old May 1st, 2009, 03:23 AM   #2
Trustee

why would they introduce a mark 3 now when the 2 is still selling like crazy.

those releases are not for the top end but for the general EOS name aren't they?
Old May 1st, 2009, 03:32 AM   #3
Major Player

And you could perhaps also argue the other way around; why would they update the firmware since the camera still sells like crazy..?

No?

-- peer
Old May 1st, 2009, 05:25 AM   #4
Regular Crew

As a customer who uses his camera professionally, I'm really disappointed by the way Canon chose to make the video side work in the 5D Mark II. Why did they think users at this level wouldn't be interested in having control? That's the whole point of dslrs.

Now, if they really underestimated the interest a camera with these characteristics would generate, a firmware would be a nice way to surprise us loyal customers. If, however, they decided to force us to fight the camera each time we go out shooting video just for the sake of selling more product, I find it a bit insulting.

This isn't my first Canon purchase. In the last few years I have chosen Canon products because they have delivered the right tools for the job. The XL-H1, the 6x HD lens, the XH-A1, every dslr I have purchased has delivered great image quality, functionality, versatility, etc...

But now, every time I place my hand in front of my lens to "trick" the auto exposure program in my 5DMkII I feel cheated. Not because I wasn't aware of the limitations when I bought it or because I can't make it "work" the way it is, but because I know it could and should be much better and easier.

This is NOT an example of the right tool for the job. They can get away with it, because they know they are the only full frame HD video dslr on the market, but as a customer I'm left disappointed. Do you think if I gave them a check for their next product or whatever they could send me a firmware so I could start using manual control now instead of having to wait for it?
Old May 1st, 2009, 07:01 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer Landa View Post
Since it's now well over 6 months since Canon introduced its last EOS model (the lovely 5DMKII)
Actually it's now just over *one* month since Canon introduced its last EOS model (the EOS REbel T1i), which was announced four months after the 5D Mk. II started shipping. So yes, they are indeed "on schedule" for new EOS product releases if you use their previous history as a guide. More importantly, the HD video mode in the Rebel T1i works no differently than the 5D Mk. II.

Once again, a thread that has nowhere to go.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD