I need a quick idiot proof guide to night shooting! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old April 14th, 2009, 09:22 AM   #16
Tourist

Thanks again guys. I am leaving in two days so I have tonight and tomorrow to keep practicing and see what I come up with. These tips definitely give me more confidence and i will pick up a 50 1.8 later today.
Chris Higgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 09:29 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
Don't get too hung up on using the Exposure Lock & other complications. According to Vincent Laforet in the interview on the Canon site linked above they didn't discover that button while shooting 'Reverie'. They were using with a prototype they borrowed for the weekend & lacking a manual basically just used it as a 'point & shoot' the only control available was the +/- exposure compensation dial.
He also shot everything in such low light that there wasn't really much adjustment available. I'd say exposure lock is still important simply to prevent the camera from changing settings mid-shot, regardless of what the settings are. I haven't been worrying about trying to trick the ISO or shutter too much - but I always hit lock before just to ensure consistency within the shot.
Old April 14th, 2009, 11:21 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
Don't get too hung up on using the Exposure Lock & other complications.
Exposure lock is a must. All it takes is a single exposure change to ruin a shot. I forgot to push the AE Lock button on a shot this past weekend, and it was ruined. Sure, it works if the composition of the scene is stable, but one exposure change and it's ruined.

BTW, you can always hit the button later in the shot. Let's say you're filming in a dark room and step into the light. Lock it for the dark shot, then push the button once or twice as you make the transition and again when you are fully in the light. The exposure might not be perfect, but this can get the shot for a documentary or vacation reel.
Old April 14th, 2009, 11:37 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Higgins View Post
...and i will pick up a 50 1.8 later today.
You probably don't have time to get an adapter and Nikon 50mm f/1.8, but be aware that the Canon 50mm f/1.8 has terrible, five sided bokeh. The Nikon, on the other hand, is quite clean. Oh well, it's an inexpensive lens, and will still do much better than your zoom in low light.

The following page (just past halfway down) compares the bokeh of the Canon 50mm f/1.2, f/1.4 and f/1.8. But, hey, for $89 we can't complain. (But we can buy the Nikon.)

Canon EF 50mm f/1.2 L USM Lens Review

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD