Nikon lens adapter problems :( at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old March 5th, 2009, 08:16 AM   #1
New Boot

Nikon lens adapter problems :(

Hi

Just got the MK2 today and I have attached the lens adapter so I can use my Nikons. However I have 2 really annoying problems.
Firstly the Nikon lenses that go on are great, but every time I go to detach the lens it takes the adapter off the camera with it. Is there a way around this without having to buy adapters for each lens?
Secondly as mentioned in previous posts I have a couple of faster lenses which all have the protruding flange thing. Now I don't want to file it down so is there a way of buying a more protruding lens adapter which would in effect add a few millimeters which is all I need?
James Hurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 11:44 AM   #2
Inner Circle

James:

By adding a few millimeters of thickness to an adapter, you will affect the focusing of the lens/camera combination. In essence, its like adding an extension tube for closeup photography. You lose infinity focus by doing so. I bought multiple $16 adapters from EBay (Kawa) and they work fine. You don't don't even realize there is an adapter after you start using them. I keep them on the lenses I will use most, but can switch to another lens, if I need to.

Of my 6 older Nikon lenses, I had to file down 1. I used a pair of metal snips, and filed the flange down completely. I painted any shiny metal showing, avoid incidental flare. Since I don't have an Nikon still film camera or even one of the DSLRs, I wasn't worried about it, so I don't know if it will effect use there.
Old March 5th, 2009, 12:27 PM   #3
New Boot

Cheers Chris

Yeah I thought that would effect the whole camera / lens combination, Guess I'll just have to hak up the old lens. Oh Well.

I'm pleased I'm not the only one with the adapter ring rotate problem. Better get another 6 nikon adapter rings it is then :(

That said the camera is awesome!!!

James
James Hurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 12:41 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Hurst View Post
Cheers Chris

That said the camera is awesome!!!

James
yes, it is !
Old March 6th, 2009, 10:49 AM   #5
Major Player

Adapter for each lens and while you are at it buy as many rear caps for Canon EOS lenses too so you do not need to remove the lens mount adapters for rear protection when not in use.

T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 07:33 PM   #6
Major Player

Speaking of rear lens caps... I bought 3 sets of rear lens and body cap combos (they don't sell them separately), for $2.16 each set, inclucing free shipping from Hong Kong dealer, Deal Extreme DealExtreme: $2.16 Camera Lens Cap for Canon

They took forever to arrive, but I wasn't in any hurry! They work just fine.

Julian
Julian Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2009, 06:00 PM   #7
Major Player

I got all of my rear lens caps from camerafilters.com

they have really good deals and the shipping is fast.
Cody Dulock is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD