Inexpensive audio solutions? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old March 10th, 2009, 02:44 PM   #16
Major Player

Did a couple hours of dual-system interviews this weekend with the H4 and ran into the sync problems others have noted in the past - I got a steady drift of ~2 frames/minute across the board (24bit/96khz).

It wasn't a big deal but did affect workflow as I was under a pretty tight deadline. Normally I'd just merge the audio & video into a new clip (using FCP) but that wouldn't work here. I basically had to create a new sequence for each clip, sync the slate, then split the audio every minute and shift the remaining audio 2 frames forward.

This meant I had to edit with nested sequences which is a little more cumbersome - you have to drag from the project window to the viewer so the sequence doesn't open in a new tab, and you can't see audio waveforms on the nested clips.

With more time I think the workflow is to pre-calculate the exact drift rate, stretch the audio file by the correct percentage, and then use merge clips. I'm hoping this isn't an issue with the new H4n.
Old March 11th, 2009, 07:05 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Saunders View Post
I just got the sony PCM-D50 and it works great. It dosn't have XLR inputs though. This isn't a problem for me since I use a sound devices MixPre as the preamp. In my opinion no sub $1000 recorder with built in preamps is going to come close to the quality of the MixPre. It is a little bit of a hassle to have 2 boxes but its a lot cheaper than the Sound Devices 702.
The Sony PCM-D50 does have an optional XLR input (powered).. but the option is not cheap... but you do get great results from either the XLR inputs or the builtin mikes...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...c_Adapter.html
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2009, 07:36 PM   #18
Inner Circle

I started another thread on this, but I though you audio gurus would like to hear and comment on this test using the Beachtek DXA-4 adapter. I uploaded this simple test.

http://www.dvinfo.net/media/canon/5d2/soundtest.mp3

Thoughts.
Old March 11th, 2009, 07:58 PM   #19
Regular Crew

double post, this one erased...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2009, 07:49 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
The Sony PCM-D50 does have an optional XLR input (powered).. but the option is not cheap... but you do get great results from either the XLR inputs or the builtin mikes...

Sony | XLR-1 XLR Mic Adapter for PCM-D1 and PCM-D50 | XLR-1

Yeah the adapter is like $500 I looked at it but figured the mixpre preamps would be better
John Saunders is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD