Full manual controls? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old January 5th, 2009, 10:15 AM   #1
Major Player

Full manual controls?

Could someone confirm this? How to have full manual everything on a 5D - DVXuser.com -- The online community for filmmaking

Looks like people are reporting success. When I try it, everything is fine until I hit record and the settings are lost. But maybe that's because I am not using an adapter but twisting the lens off the contacts?
Daniel Lipats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 10:41 AM   #2
Major Player

Seems to work for me with Nikon Glass
John Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 10:55 AM   #3
Major Player

What it does do is keep the look, the shutter speed and ISO are still changed. This has been discussed before.

Proof would have to be someone recording the screen with a camcorder.

You have to get the ISO down to 100 or *200 (*with HTP) to set manual shutter speed. Aperture can only be locked with the twist method or lens adapter using a lens with manual aperture control.
James Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 11:42 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Miller View Post
What it does do is keep the look, the shutter speed and ISO are still changed. This has been discussed before.
Yeah, that's what happens when I try. Sorry for bringing it up if it has already been explored.
Daniel Lipats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 01:22 PM   #5
Major Player

now heres a question. is iso completely done in software? it is for RED, but does not usually seem to be for any other RAW cameras. if this is a reasonable method, perhaps we could just come up with a set of picture styles for different isos? im not sure the picture style editor is advanced enough, but it seems possible, especially if we can find a good way to carefully set an LUT for each picture style. the canon picture style editor does seem to have an option for "brightness" which is not normally a setting i like to use, but in this program it seems to push/pull the image up to 2 steps (stops?) in each direction. perhaps if one set different profiles, each with a different setting -2 through +2, you could effectively use these profiles as iso800 - iso50 settings (where 0 is iso200 and you still have some shutter control).

here are the assumptions i am operating with about manual control on the 5dmk2 when using lenses with aperture rings and no canon ef contacts (such as nikon lenses with an adapter):

-when exposure is such that iso is automatically set to higher than iso200, the shutter is automatically set to 1/30th (or 1/focal length for canon lenses >30mm)
-in lighting situations where iso200 at 1/30th shutter is overexposed, the camera automatically increases the shutter speed as high as it wants to expose "correctly".

if that is the case, perhaps we just need nikon (or other non-canon ef) lenses that gives us aperture control, and a lightcap that automatically sets the camera to iso200 with 1/60th shutter (with options for more light and higher shutter speeds). and then you use the preset profiles to adjust iso (really just 14-to-8bit LUT). this could potentially give real control over aperture, iso, and shutter at the same time.

is there anything im missing about the available manual controls? sounds to me like there isnt really any good way to set shutter and iso to exactly what you want in movie mode since it does not read out settings correctly. am i wrong?
Noah Yuan-Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 01:24 PM   #6
Major Player

Seems clever.
Mathieu Kassovitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 04:54 PM   #7
Major Player

As far as I know, increasing ISO on a DSLR is roughly equivalent to increasing gain on a camcorder, i.e. the analog signal is amplified before DAC. I was assuming that this would also apply to the 5DMkII in video mode, but I may be wrong...
Ron Pfister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 11:39 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Is there any particular reason why you have to use Nikon Glass? Would a manual Canon lens work?
Dave Contreras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 12:04 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Nikon manual lenses work great. They have a mechanical aperture ring that you can adjust at any time. I use a Fotodiox Pro adapter that I got on ebay.

Canon lenses work, but you have to first set the aperture, then partially remove the lens by rotating it by about 3mm while holding the DOF preview button. Then you can enter Live Mode and set up your video exposure. If you want to adjust your aperture, you need to twist back on and adjust via the camera controls, then untwist...

Most importantly, remember to re-secure your lens. We almost dropped our 70-300mm IS lens when shooting The Last Outpost.

Until Canon fixes their firmware, I refuse to buy any more Canon glass for this camera. Nikon glass with the adapter works great!
Old January 6th, 2009, 01:38 PM   #10
Major Player

That was real counterproductive for Canon to do. They obviously made this cam to help push folks into buying their lens. But as it turns out...folks will be buying Nikon lens instead.

I sense a firmware fix in the near future.
Ian G. Thompson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD