Matching T3i and 5D Image at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old February 17th, 2012, 07:36 AM   #1
Major Player

Matching T3i and 5D Image

I'm seeing a noticeable difference in the video image I'm getting from these two cameras when shooting with the same settings and wondering if anyone has any suggestions for tweeking the settings to match better. I typically am shooting with both camera's at same time, same lighting and using the neutral picture profile in both cams. The T3i image has more contrast and a bit noisier. I know the sensor size difference could be a contributing factor but I'm just surprised at the difference I'm seeing when other posters report little or no difference. Any thoughts?

Art
Old February 17th, 2012, 09:38 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Matching T3i and 5D Image

Unless you are using the exact same lens on each then not everything is the same.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 10:13 AM   #3
Major Player

I can understand that but it's more of a quality of image difference I'm seeing. I know that in low light I can't go higher than 800 ISO on the T3i where on the 5DM2 I can go to 1600 but I see the difference even outside with good lighting.

Art
Old February 17th, 2012, 01:06 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I have both these cameras too (here in Europe the T3i is called the 600D for some odd reason). All my lenses are Canon 'L' lenses apart from the EF-S 17-55 F/2.8 that's only used on the 600D & I don't see much if any difference between the images unless it's low light where I never go over ISO800 on the 600D whereas the 5DII is good up to ISO3200.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 02:02 PM   #5
Major Player

If your using something like a 24-70 on the 5DII and the kit 18-55 on the T3i, of course there is going to be a big difference in image. In order to match them, just use good glass (easier said than done, I know) and there should be minimal difference.
Justin Molush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 09:12 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Varga View Post
I'm seeing a noticeable difference in the video image I'm getting from these two cameras when shooting with the same settings and wondering if anyone has any suggestions for tweeking the settings to match better. I typically am shooting with both camera's at same time, same lighting and using the neutral picture profile in both cams. The T3i image has more contrast and a bit noisier. I know the sensor size difference could be a contributing factor but I'm just surprised at the difference I'm seeing when other posters report little or no difference. Any thoughts?

Art
The only time I really notice the difference is in low light situations where the 5DMK2 destroys the all other dslrs.
Tariq Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 10:06 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Sorry but I notice the difference all the time when browsing the internet. When I watch vimeo, I can tell the difference in image quality. I guess the the difference in megapixels and the difference in sensor size make a difference. I wish there weren't a difference because I'm buying a Canon 5d on Tuesday. Its crazy because when I watch a wedding video on vimeo, I can tell its 5d footage before I even look at the tags or the comments. It's just slightly better IQ, but thats just my opinion, I trust my eyes!
Keith Betters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2012, 03:31 AM   #8
Major Player

If thats the case I feel a test is in order. https://vimeo.com/36718236 by watching this video are you honestly able to tell which parts use 7D and which parts use the 5D?
Old February 18th, 2012, 01:02 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Hey Tariq, I watched the footage, and they matched it very well. Let me ask you this, did you shoot the footage? If not then no one really knows what shots were what. However, by watching the video there are certain shots that I believe to be a tad cleaner than other shots, but the gentlemen who shot it would be the only one who could tell me what each shot was. When the clips are run close together, yes I concede it is hard to tell. But not so much when they are totally seperate, see the video below.

Also, I am referring to when I watch entire videos shot with a 5d compared to videos shot with a t3i or 7d like myself. I shoot with t3i and t2i's, use decent glass and don't lose quality transcoding as I edit natively. I am not saying there is a tremendous difference, but the 5d image is just a cleaner sharper image to me. Except for low light, where I think we all agree its not even close.

Old February 19th, 2012, 02:07 AM   #10
Major Player

Hi,

The 5DMK2 is a great camera and I know that in low light it beats all other DSLRs hands down. But if we are talking about normal everyday footage you would be pushed to know which is which.
Old February 29th, 2012, 05:13 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I just wanted to confirm what I always thought. I just purchased a Canon 5d Mark 2 last week and have shot 3 different events with it. After reviewing the footage I do believe the 5d is a cleaner sharper image, even in daylight. All 3 events I shot were different with different types of lighting conditions. Of course we all know the 5d crushes all other dslr's in low light but its more than just that. I am not saying this to make my self feel better for spending 2k or to justify my purchase. I have examined the footage, looked for noise in the shadows, looking at the dynamic range of both cameras (5d and t3i/t2i) and believe the 5d is a superior image all the way around. The main thing to me is that it is just a higher resolution and the overall image is just sharper, especially when you nail focus. I say this because when I edit I pull it up on my 32 inch tv and normally I can see the t3i get softer on a bigger screen. The 5d holds a little better when blown up. I attribute this to the higher resolution sensor.

Don't get me wrong there are many short comings of the 5d. That is why my t3i & t2i will always have a place in my arsenal for now. The main reasons are that i hate that the 5d has no articulating screen. It also lacks 720/60 fps which is a big deal for slomo. But one of the main reasons is that Magic Lantern is a much stronger program on the t3i than the 5d. I have incorporated those features into my shooting and the fact that I do not have them when I shoot with 5d really affects my workflow. Also, the 5d does not have digital zoom like my t3i, which comes in handy when needed or the church or venue is really big. Also it takes expensive cf cards that are hard to find in local stores nowadays. I prefer sd cards as I have many of them for my other cameras.

All in all, I am happy with the purchase and I am glad I bought the darn thing. However, I would not trade my t3i or t2i for another 5d. I think with my setup right now I need at least both of them. Now I know the 5d Mark 3 is about to drop soon, but I did not plan on spending $3500 for body only so that never was an option for me right now, but maybe next year it will be!

***Also, I think that the web compressions on vimeo and youtube make them seem like they are on a level playing field but when you look at the native unedited files you can truly see the difference.
Old February 29th, 2012, 05:34 PM   #12
Major Player

Would love to see some side by side comparisons, also the 5DMK2 is due a price drop, any reason why you did not wait?
Old February 29th, 2012, 07:11 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Well, I was tired of waiting for the 5d M3 to come for the price to drop. But I bought mine brand new locally off of craigslist for only $2000. This is the same price of what the price drop woud be anyway. But I had to spend another $400 on cf cards, batteries & a grip. Next up is the Rokinon 35mm 1.4. Hopefully I will have that in the next week or so!
Old February 29th, 2012, 07:46 PM   #14
Major Player

"I have both these cameras too (here in Europe the T3i is called the 600D for some odd reason). All my lenses are Canon 'L' lenses apart from the EF-S 17-55 F/2.8 that's only used on the 600D & I don't see much if any difference between the images unless it's low light where I never go over ISO800 on the 600D whereas the 5DII is good up to ISO3200. "

For low light noise, you should never use ISO800 on Canon DSLR, only use 160, 320, 640, 1250, turn off highlight tone priority and auto lightning optimizer for cleanest possible picture.
Old March 1st, 2012, 02:34 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoi Pham View Post
"I have both these cameras too (here in Europe the T3i is called the 600D for some odd reason). All my lenses are Canon 'L' lenses apart from the EF-S 17-55 F/2.8 that's only used on the 600D & I don't see much if any difference between the images unless it's low light where I never go over ISO800 on the 600D whereas the 5DII is good up to ISO3200. "

For low light noise, you should never use ISO800 on Canon DSLR, only use 160, 320, 640, 1250, turn off highlight tone priority and auto lightning optimizer for cleanest possible picture.
This whole 160, 320, 640, 1250 'magic ISO' thing is over rated in my book. What's most important is to get the image correctly exposed. It's better to be using ISO800 if that's what's needed than ISO640 & have an under-exposed image that will look like crap & on the 600D/T3i ISO1250 is noisier than ISO800. On the 5DII it's a whole different game in low light. In low light I usually just set it to ISO3200 & adjust aperture as required hopefully keeping it at F/2.8 or more unless I really do want a mega-shallow DoF when I might use F/1.2 or F/1.4. I like to use the 135mm F/2L wide open as it has such a beautiful image in which case I will adjust the ISO to whatever is required for a well exposed image.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD