New to DSLR - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old October 24th, 2010, 03:01 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin Bencosme View Post
I'm thinking of switching to HD-SLR, coming from HDV would like your views on the new 60D for video.
I come from the Sony Z5, someone has made this change?

Thanks...
Just be sure you keep your Z5 because you will regret selling it, ofcourse it will depend what type of video work you do but dslr's are a real handfull to operate. I have had footage that was totally useless with the dslr because of the moire and i can only focus right if I use the magnifying function before I shoot.
As a combination with my main "real" video camera it was one of my best investments I made, it's great for those artsy shots with crazy dof or when you want to get a real wide view that you can't get with your main cam or, and that had been by far the most time I use my dslr, in dark places.
If you got fast primes it's amazing how much they can show, if it gets too dark my xh-a1 gets real noisy and looses all colorinformation so there I need a strong light to minimize that. With a dslr with a fast prime I can often shoot without light and still retaining sufficient color in the image. It produces also less noice compared to my xh-a1 at 6db.
Also at wedding receptions when sound is not important my favorite lens is a nikon nikkor 28mm 2.8, that one gives some realy nice skin color and an image that i would associate with "filmlike" look.

If I where you I would buy a 60D with the stock lens and start playing with it so you start to learn what it takes to operate, and then slowly buy your needed lenzes. I"m sure at the end you"ll be happy you kept your Z5 but you also will be happy you got the dslr, both serve their purpose very well.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2010, 04:49 AM   #17
Trustee

I'll play...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
Why get a 60D instead of a Letus or Redrock 35MM adaptor?
What you said, plus... Smaller, able to work incognito, can work handheld with appropriate 'precautions', great for cramped locations like cars, elevators, offices, crowds. Able to work at faster speed for run-gun situations.

Quote:
Why get 60D instead of Sony VG10 or Panasonic AF100?
Better, wider, faster lenses - a 550D and Tokina can be had for only a little more than a Century Optics 0.8x LC Wangle for an EX1, with less distortion, better transmission.

Something else has cropped up: any video production, of any sort, benefits from having a few stills associated with it. And quite frankly, these Canons are quite good at taking pictures - even squeezing a couple off at the beginning or end of any given shot.

But I increasingly find that when shooting candid with a DSLR, the crowd instintctively stops and pauses and all strike a pose as if I am photographing them. It does not make good TV. And I don't like the palpable sense of betrayal they all show if they find out I am actually shooting video...

And one has to juggle between the joy of recording 24/96 with an external audio recorder, versus the convenience of Phantom Powered XLRs offering sync sound - albeit at 16/44.1 - using a JuicedLink or similar. At least the camcorders stick to 16/48.
Old October 24th, 2010, 09:54 AM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Not very useful without explaining why. DSLR serves a specific purpose and many people are doing Broadcast work with them given the limitations. It's not a replacement for a video camera. It's a tool with a specific purpose that is very difficult to do with a video camera.

So I'll respond. If you want affordable and flexible control over lenses and shallow depth of field get a DSLR for video 'cause you aren't doing that easily with camcorder without having a much big rig and budget.
Graig all you are saying is correct, but as you said above a DSLR it's not a replacement for a video camera. That's exactly what I said. So I will never advise anyone to sell it's Z5 for a DSLR. He will regret in a very short time.

Stelios
Old October 24th, 2010, 05:26 PM   #19
New Boot

Although RED is fast catching up with their HDR video. Still, your point is valid. Film just has the quality that can't be beat--although digital sure is much more affordable! :)
Timothy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 02:09 AM   #20
Major Player

[That would be telling Timothy ],i have to admit though that some tv programns now filmed i am pretty sure on video look realy nice but i guess the cine alta or whatever they use runs film a close thing on price.
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 09:41 AM   #21
New Boot

Re: New to DSLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Estrella View Post
When I got my T2i, I put my Canon XHA1 for sale. Had a few interested inquiries but nobody bought it, and I'm glad I haven't sold it.

I'm sure you've read some articles on the pros and cons on shooting with DSLR...if you haven't, google them right now. If you shoot short films or music videos, DSLR's are great, but if you're shooting longer events, you'll wish you had a camcorder (that's my opinion, anyways).

Don't forget the costs of lenses, audio equipment and accessories...which will easily cost double or triple than the 60D did.
How have you managed blending shots between the T2i and your XH-A1? I tried using an EOS preset in the XH, but it makes the shots from the T2i look over saturated or the T2i shots make the XH look washed out, I'm not sure which. "Real" is somewhere in between but it seems to take a lot of adjustment in post to use them together. What's your solution?
Tim Trott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD