Nikon AI/S Lenses Known Not To Fit On 7D at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old July 6th, 2010, 08:18 PM   #1
New Boot

Nikon AI/S Lenses Known Not To Fit On 7D

Hi, I'm new to this site. It's been a great source of 7D/5D information. I recently purchased a 7D and I'm in the process of putting together a package. I've decided to go with the 17-55 zoom along with fast Nikon (AIS) primes for low light situations. I've heard that not all of them will clear the 7d mirror. Has anyone found specific Nikon Lenses do not work? The ones I'm most interested in are: the 20 2.8, 24 F2, the 35 1.4, 50 1.2 and the 85 1.4. TIA --Evan
Evan Estern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 08:02 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Most Nikkor lenses fit with the adapter, I use the 24, 50, 70-150 and 200.
Old July 7th, 2010, 08:10 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Estern View Post
Hi, I'm new to this site. It's been a great source of 7D/5D information. I recently purchased a 7D and I'm in the process of putting together a package. I've decided to go with the 17-55 zoom along with fast Nikon (AIS) primes for low light situations. I've heard that not all of them will clear the 7d mirror. Has anyone found specific Nikon Lenses do not work? The ones I'm most interested in are: the 20 2.8, 24 F2, the 35 1.4, 50 1.2 and the 85 1.4. TIA --Evan
I've not heard that ANY of the AIS lenses won't fit. Maybe some REALLY out there one like a fisheye might not. The Pre-AI lenses may cause heartburn.
Old July 7th, 2010, 07:01 PM   #4
New Boot

Thanks Perrone, I'll keep hunting for used AIS lenses.

E
Old July 7th, 2010, 08:46 PM   #5
Contributor

All my old Nikkor lenses are pre-AI and they work beautifully. To my eye the f2 35mm looks as good or maybe even better than the new Zeiss ZE 50mm. I was hesitant on the 24mm because it's the one with the flange that's too long. It did appear that it might hit the mirror, so I had my daughter, who is a jeweler, cut the protrusion down so it was even with the base flange. She did it to perfection and you'd never know the offending flange had been there. I have the 24mm f2.8, 35mm f2, and 105mm f2.5. All are heavy and solid with a nice focus throw.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 11:31 PM   #6
Trustee

I had to grind the flanges down on my 35mm f1.4, 28 f2 and 24 f2.
because they would hit the electrical contacts on the T2i.

I was very hesitant at first but checked it out with a Nikon expert who said they were useless nowadays. I bought a portable dremel covered the rear element and ground them down. Very easy and fast. I love my dremel - finally had a good reason to buy one.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2010, 06:18 PM   #7
New Boot

I'm hesitant to start grinding down flanges because if nothing else, it will effect the resale value of the lens. Good idea though.
Old July 9th, 2010, 01:01 PM   #8
Contributor

I have the 24 f2.8, 35 f2, 105 f2.5 and a 135 and 200. The 24 is the only one where the flange stuck out abnormally far. All are pre-AI. I guess maybe some of the newer ones are different. There was a line of cheaper ones they started making at one point, I'm not sure when, but I think they had an E in the designation.
Old July 9th, 2010, 04:39 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Levy View Post
I had to grind the flanges down on my 35mm f1.4, 28 f2 and 24 f2.
because they would hit the electrical contacts on the T2i.

I was very hesitant at first but checked it out with a Nikon expert who said they were useless nowadays. I bought a portable dremel covered the rear element and ground them down. Very easy and fast. I love my dremel - finally had a good reason to buy one.
I don't think I had to remove the flange on my 35mm F2, but did with the 24mm, to fit my Canon 5D. I will have to check how the 35mm is working with my new T2i, though I have used it already several times.

as far as removal of the flange, it was easiliy accomplishied by using a pair of pointed side cutters, and I didn't have to worry about metal dust from the dremmel accumulating.

I recall that on one of my Petax K lenses, I has to remove the lever that actuated the auto iris stop down during a still shot, as it interfered with the 5D mirror.
Old July 10th, 2010, 08:58 AM   #10
Contributor

My daughter is a jeweler and I had her remove the part of the flange that sticks up too far on the 24mm. Now it looks like it came from the factory that way. I covered the lens with masking tape to keep particles out, but blew it out good and cleaned off the rear element afterwards. Works great. I have no clue why that particular lens has that flange. It doesn't do anything and clearly isn't needed even when used on a Nikon

Does anybody else find it ironic that you can buy a $20 adapter and use old pre-AI Nikkor lenses on any new Canon EOS camera...but you can't use them on a new Nikon? There is a person someplace, I've read, who can modify them for only about $25 each, but I've also read that doesn't always work well. I guess I should be happy about this, because if I had been able to use the old lenses when I first bought a DSLR I would have, no doubt, bought a Nikon...and now I wouldn't be shooting 1080p/24 HD video with a hybrid camera. Although...those rumors about Nikon are starting to pop up. It's probably about time for them to play leapfrog with Canon again. Maybe this time they'll also have an adapter to use pre-AI lenses? Or an adapter to use Canon L lenses on a Nikon? . Ahhhh...it would be a better world if there was only one kind of lens mount.
Old July 11th, 2010, 09:17 PM   #11
New Boot

I just bought a 35 1.4 on eBay from a seller in Korea, so it may be a little while before I see it. Not sure how much of a flange there is on that one. It's potentially a lens that will get a lot of use as I kind of favor wider to normal lenses for a of of my work.
Old July 11th, 2010, 11:21 PM   #12
Inner Circle

The "flange" as it has been referred to in this thread is incorrectly defined here. It is an overhang or extension of the iris control ring which I understand interacted mechanically with internal metering on older cameras. There is no harm in skimming it back closer to the flange face on the rear of the lens, provided you do not intend to re-use it on an older Nikon camera.

If the lens is in absolutely pristine condition of collector quality, I might counsel against brutalising it as it may hold or gain value down the track.

Last edited by Bob Hart; July 12th, 2010 at 01:20 AM. Reason: error, removable of blunt and imprudent remark and excessive know-all stuff
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2010, 11:34 PM   #13
Inner Circle

I assure you Mr. Hart that the removal of the protrusion was quite clean and flush, and also quite absent any metal filings, thank you. As to whether I might be deemed to be lazy or not is not something you are not qualified to comment on, since you do not know me.
Old July 12th, 2010, 01:18 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Chris.

I acknowledge that my comment was blunt and imprudent, that a little self-censorship of my comment is warranted and the post has been amended accordingly.

And certainly to have reached your level of achievement and acknowledgement within your craft suggests that you are of far from a lazy disposition. My apology for any offence caused.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD