Nikon lenses on a 7D - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old July 13th, 2010, 08:44 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
Well, that seems interesting. However for numerous reasons, I prefer manual glass still. As far as optics being better in the "G" lenses, well that's certainly a matter up for debate. What I can tell you is that I would MUCH MUCH rather attach at follow focus rig to an older and high quality manual lens than any of the modern ones.
You can attach a follow focus to a G lens. They can be set to focus fully manually. The Nikon G to EOS adapter (from 16:9) allows you to have manual control over the aperture, since G lenses have no aperture ring. Focusing is done manually ... whether by hand or by follow focus. I have a 14-24/2.8 G and a 24-70/2.8 G that I use with with my 5D2, along with a 80-200/2.8 ED D. It is generally accepted that the 14-24 G lens is one of the best, if not the best, wide angle zoom lens in the world. Check out Focus Optics. Their "Ruby" lens is based upon the 14-24. It is designed for Red One and for cine work. A cool $15,000.00! You can pick up a used 14-24 G for about $1,400.00 and have basically the same optics.

I also prefer manual still glass. I have a whole collection of Zeiss lenses. All primes. However if you want some killer zooms, then take a look at the Nikons, especially the two G zooms I mentioned. The only real disadvantage to them (other than the expensive and hard to get 16:9 adapter) is that they are big and very heavy lenses.
Bill Sepaniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2010, 09:39 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Thanks for the info Bill. I've really not considered the "G" lenses for several reasons. One is because I don't know how they will work with my Nikon film camera (F65) and the other is the difficulty in adapting them for Canon use.

I know that when I buy Canon glass, it's for my T2i only. But when I buy Nikon glass, I want it to work with my F65 as well. I miss my F4s, but what can I do.
Old July 14th, 2010, 11:14 PM   #18
Regular Crew

I have shot plenty with the Nikon G Series 17-55 f2.8 with the 16:9 Adaptor. Alongisde a canon 16-35mm f2.8 and a Nikon 80-200 f2.8 and they are all fantastic. Advantage with the G in a 16:9 is the smooth aperture motion and it has it where it is supposed to be on a Video camera!

They cost though. Just bough a second for my Sigma 10-20 f3.5. I also have lots of Nikkor primes but for what i do they are a nice idea but quite impractical.

I think you would be wise to keep an eye out for G series for your 7D.

Ian.
Ian Withnall is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD