SDXC Card with Canon t2i - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old March 30th, 2011, 07:28 AM   #31
Obstreperous Rex

Re: SDXC Card with Canon t2i

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wiley View Post
the camera needs to empty the buffer
Flush the buffer. That's the geek-chic term these days. The camera needs to flush the buffer.

Quote:
Properly implemented continuous recording is more like that sexy barmaid who manages to leave the beer tap constantly running while filling multiple consecutive glasses, all without spilling a drop.
I knew that girl when I was in college. I tried to date her, but she never had the time.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2011, 02:02 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Re: SDXC Card with Canon t2i

Quote:
Magic Lantern's restart function is nothing at all like proper continuous recording. Magic Lantern is the electronic equivelant of hitting the record button as soon as you see the first clip stop recording.
As I said, it's not gapless. It is, in fact, exactly the kind of solution to the 4GB problem that Sanyo put into their Xacti line of consumer camcorders. Pro-oriented camcorder companies understand the need for gapless recording, but not all video companies do.

And as well, given how Panasonic solves this, many users are going to screw it up anyway. Panasonic's cameras stop at exactly 4GB. close one file, open the next. It works great. Sanyo is actually stopping at a GOP boundry, far as I can tell. So sure, I import my videos from my Panasonics by opening a shell and doing a plain old catenate of all sequential video files to a single file on my HDD. Maybe Panasonic's included software does this for you... I haven't bothered. But most users aren't going to know this is necessary.. and it's not exactly called out in bold type in the manuals, either. Sure, a broken GOP is only about 0.250-0.625 sec, depending on fps. but this does get ignored anyway.

So... if you have this reliably automated and use multiple cameras, this is much closer in practice to gapless transition than "go press the record button again". In fact, it's day and night... also the reason I donated to the MagicLantern for 60D project. I would LOVE to see Canon fix this. And maybe they will, if (as I suspect) there's actually no good reason for it. Most other HDSLRs do not have this issue.. but usually some other issue. In my case, that's "they're not Canons"... I'm far too invested in the system to change. Canons can't function as "A" cameras for event work, but my 60D makes a fine "B" camera. And as for stills, I have not a single complaint... it's like shooting everything with Kodachrome 25, only sharper.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD