Canon EOS C100 - Page 18 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old November 13th, 2012, 05:08 PM   #256
Inner Circle

Re: Canon EOS C100

I wish I knew! I must be at (or very, very, close to) the top of CVP's order list here in the UK - since I placed my order within 24 hours of the C100 announcement/it appearing on their website for pre-order. So I hope I'll get some pleasant news soon...
Old November 14th, 2012, 03:15 AM   #257
Inner Circle

Wow! Black Magic have just released new firmware for the HyperDeck Shuttle 2 that supports recording to ProRes. This makes it far & away the cheapest option for recording from the HDMI of the C100 (& the 5D3 come next April). At little more than the size of a couple of 2.5" SSDs it's compact too.
Blackmagic Design: View Press Release
Blackmagic Design: HyperDeck Shuttle Tech Specs
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 03:32 AM   #258
Inner Circle

Interesting! Wonder if it will recognise the Record start/stop actions of the C100 like the Ninja 2 can? (i.e. no need to press Record on both the camera and the HDS 2).
Old November 14th, 2012, 06:59 AM   #259
Inner Circle

I see H Preston Media have changed their website so the C100 now says "usually available within 1-2 days" (it did say available from 14th Nov).

I've still not heard anything from CVP. Maybe Preston got the only UK container load! Anyone with an order with them know what's going on?

More thoughts on the Hyperdeck Shuttle 2 ProRes 422 (HQ 220 Mbps) announcement.

1. I'm still favouring a Atomos Ninja 2 for the C100 as that way I'll get an additional screen - so that I can point it to the camera's 'control button side' when doing locked down/sit down interviews (since the C100 screen can't do that particular position - and on the 'dumb' side only at an awkward angle).
2. Also, although relatively cheap, don't forget you really need the mounting plate for the HDS 2 which adds both cost, thickness and weight, plus you'll need a means of powering it. Mind you, the Ninja 2 with a battery or two will add bulk and weight too.
3. Start/stop record feature? My guess is they would have mentioned this in the press release if it had this very useful functionality but I suspect this is the Ninja 2s trump card with the C100 and a few other specified cams - at least until Blackmagic get around to adding this functionality in a future firmware update on the HDS 2.
4. I really do like the fact that the HDS 2 is both SDI and HDMI though - means I could use it on my EX3 as well if I ever wanted to (i.e. without having to buy the extra converter from Atomos - which adds more bulk, weight and cost).

I stress point 3 is speculation on my part until we get some confirmation - maybe someone at today's BVE North in Manchester could ask this specific question on the Blackmagic stand?

Last edited by Andy Wilkinson; November 14th, 2012 at 02:32 PM. Reason: typo
Andy Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 09:19 AM   #260
Major Player

What about a Sound Devices Pix 220 to get better sound?
Philip Lipetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 09:46 AM   #261
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Lipetz View Post
What about a Sound Devices Pix 220 to get better sound?
Nice device but it's 7-8X the price of the HyperDeck Shuttle v2 & weighs 2lbs.
Old November 14th, 2012, 10:50 AM   #262
Major Player

Huge moire in the preproduction C100 video. C100 are makeup and crane shots. And handy close up shots, whatever that means, if it is all closeups then that looks good. But look at moire in roof in all crane shots. Unless that is a Vimeo artifact. Don't think so. C100 footage is AVCHD. DR is questionable. Slider shots are C300.

Old November 14th, 2012, 11:50 AM   #263
Inner Circle

You can also see moire in the beginning inside the venue at the ceiling, they say they used a c100/300 but I also see a guy filming with, I think, a Sony vg20 (around 02:00) but maybe it was one of the guests.
Must say that the images in the trailer don't look that spectacular, looks more like something my 550d would be able to do as well. Wonder if it was done with these camera's, I have seen some images from the c300 done by Nigel and there you could easily pick the c300 shots out when paired with a 5D. In the trailer the c100 shots look very soft.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 12:15 PM   #264
Major Player

Let us hope Canon has cleared this up in the production firmware. BTW it has been reported that The preproduction model clipped at 85 IRE when at 320 ISO.
Old November 15th, 2012, 04:53 AM   #265
Major Player

On the subject of the HyperDeck Shuttle.
My preferences is for a recorder that becomes part of the camera.
That means fixing it underneath the camera with a tripod plate beneath the shuttle, so that the camera can be used handheld or on a tripod etc without any fuss.
A friend pointed me to Stefan Sargent's post on his site last year which shares this sentiment and shows his solution.
If you scroll down the page you can see it here:
WHY CAN?T A VIDEO CAMERA BE MORE LIKE A VIOLIN? | ARTICLES
Perhaps Black Magic or somebody else could produce something like this.
Part of the joy of the C100 (and C300) to me is that it doesn't need pimping up.
As simple as possible please eg no rails.
BTW I hope the Hypershuttle will stop and start with the camera. Seems a no brainer and can't be that difficult surely.

Last edited by Richard Gooderick; November 15th, 2012 at 04:57 AM. Reason: corrected product name
Richard Gooderick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2012, 02:38 PM   #266
Regular Crew

The 85 IRE cut-off at 320 ISO issue post is right here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/new-cano...ml#post1763723

Also, this user has a file available to download that exhibits no moire at all. I was excited to see that.
Old November 16th, 2012, 01:59 AM   #267
Inner Circle

I read on another forum that 35 Canon C100s have now been shipped to authorised resellers in Oz and that the next batch will be shipped at the end of Nov. I guess we should be seeing more user generated material on the web very soon then!
Old November 16th, 2012, 02:43 AM   #268
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
I see H Preston Media have changed their website so the C100 now says "usually available within 1-2 days" (it did say available from 14th Nov)
From personal experience I wouldn't believe anything about delivery dates on Preston's website nor indeed any promises that they may give you by email or phone.
Old November 20th, 2012, 07:36 PM   #269
New Boot

Some new videos on vimeo

Miko Meloni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2012, 11:53 PM   #270
Inner Circle

These look very promising! Thanks for posting.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems