DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

BlackMagic Cinema Camera
EF & MFT lens mount / 2.5K CinemaDNG RAW

Old August 28th, 2019, 05:15 AM   #1
Major Player

Battery, SSD mount and cage choices for the BMPCC 6K

The reports on the existing battery (LP-E6) supplied with the BMPCC 6K aren't very good, so I figure I'll use some of my existing Sony F970 batteries to start off with. I figure I might get 2 1/2 - 3 hours per F970 battery, but I'll need to verify in actual practice.

There's an inexpensive F970 battery plate solution by Tilta for A$50 (US$35) on B&H:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...2855/KBID/3801

Unfortunately it's "Coming Soon". In the meantime, I'm trying to figure out what cable to connect from the 12V outlet on the battery plate into the camera. On Tilta's website, this looks like it might be the right one:

https://tilta.com/shop/12v-micro-dc-...k-power-cable/

It talks about a "micro DC" connection to the 12V port and says, "Compatible with the several different BMPCC 4K/6K battery power side handles," so I figure this might be the one, even though Tilta only has it on backorder right now. I tried to find the equivalent on B&H but, so far, all I could find was this:

All it says in the specs is that it's a "2.5 mm Barrel" connection. Whether this is the same as "micro DC" is something I'm still trying to figure out! I'm pretty sure it would be compatible with the Tilta plate though. And it's listed as "Coming Soon" as well.

On a more positive front, I'll be picking up a 1 TB Samsung Portable SSD T5 for recording. On B&H's website, they've got this mounting solution from SmallRig for the SSD on B&H:

This one's in stock!

Obviously, a cage will be needed to screw the battery plate and SSD mount onto and so far I've found two candidates (from SmallRig and Tilta):

The Tilta cage seems better to me, with three Cold Shoes as opposed to the SmallRig's one. But the Tilta is "Coming Soon" and I need something now, so I'll order the SmallRig cage and the SSD mount from B&H and I'll get a F970 plate and cable from an eBay dealer (simply because they have it in stock and can ship it to me right now).
David Knaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2019, 09:37 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Battery, SSD mount and cage choices for the BMPCC 6K

I was just watching Caleb DSLR shooter talking about his setup.

You can see how the battery partially blocks the lcd but you don't have a lot of placement options.
I purchased some Sony 970 off Amazon to power LED lights. Worked well considering they were roughly $25 a battery, they probably aren't as good as oem or better named 3rd party like Swit but they did the job.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2019, 12:16 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
You can see how the battery partially blocks the lcd but you don't have a lot of placement options.
Agreed. I did find this solution though, which seems to offer the capability of attaching 2 extra cold shoe mounts anywhere else on the cage. I ordered mine locally, but here's an Amazon link for those in the US (I couldn't find it on B&H):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
I purchased some Sony 970 off Amazon to power LED lights. Worked well considering they were roughly $25 a battery, they probably aren't as good as oem or better named 3rd party like Swit but they did the job.
I'm exactly the same when it comes to powering my various LED lights. There are some very inexpensive options for that. But I'm very fussy when it comes to powering my cameras and prefer to use OEM. Mind you, I'd also use F970s from reputable companies such as Anton-Bauer, IDX and Swit, but those are no cheaper in Australia than buying the Sony-brand originals from my dealer.

BTW, the cameras have finally arrived in Melbourne and I picked mine up this morning from the dealer.
Attached Thumbnails
Battery, SSD mount  and cage choices for the BMPCC 6K-img_2834.jpg  
David Knaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2019, 08:30 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Excellent. Congrats on your new arrival, David!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2019, 09:26 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Looks like a great camera. I was interested until I was watched a review. Too much complexity for my type of work. The focus, the crop factor, ratio, encoding, frame rate, restrictions and changes too much based on the resolution. A lot of quality for the money but a lot of headaches.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera