Opening ceremonies of the Olympics at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old August 9th, 2008, 10:23 AM   #1
Wrangler

Opening ceremonies of the Olympics

Politics aside, this was an amazing spectacle. The combination of incredible technology (how about that massive LED scroll/screen) with the thousands and thousands of humans performing with such accuracy and synchronization. And the printing blocks that turned out to be human powered--astonishing. Beautiful production design and values throughout. I'm usually not that into these sort of things but I was impressed.
Old August 9th, 2008, 11:33 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Wasn't that amazing and beautiful ! Something we could not really expect to do here, because the cost and the risks would be prohibitive. I wonder--- would Carl Lewis even ever consider being hoisted on a cable and pulled along the rim of a stadium like that because of the dangers involved.... I figure that guy was in real danger of physical injury or death on that gag, and must have placed under a lot of pressure to put that show on...... It was amazing, but you got to wonder about that, and the kids dangling from cables, again something we would not consider here...

As beautiful as it was, in the back of my mind I kept thinking that the 1936 Olympic showed similar highly choreographed ceremony in its day....
Old August 9th, 2008, 01:05 PM   #3
Major Player

I watched and it was unreal. The precision is something we don't see here even on a small scale, let alone the magnitude that they employed. The technical and artistic infusion of events was simply amazing. I was impressed for sure. Now I'm wondering what the closing ceremonies will be like?
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2008, 05:49 PM   #4
Trustee

At one point about half way through the show, I turned to my wife and said. "Wow. If I was the team leader in charge of the London show in 4 years I'd be gnawing through my lower lip about now."

No matter your thoughts about the politics of modern China - everyone in that country who contributed to that amazing spectacle has the right to be deeply, deeply proud of the show their countrymen and women put on.

Vision, design, execution, "wow factor."

World class - in every possible sense of the phrase.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark