Oscars and Daniel Day Lewis at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old February 25th, 2008, 02:02 AM   #1
Slash Rules!

Okay, on a tangent. . .

I don't care for awards shows in the least, but I happened to tune into the Oscars when Daniel Day Lewis was accepting an award for something or other related to TWBB.

Man, he is so vastly different, demeanor-wise, from that character (yes, I knew he was british), it's incredible. Of course, I barely know anything about him other this movie movie. I barely remember "Mohicans" and never saw Gangs of New York.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 08:21 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

As much as I loved Blast of the Mohicans, in my opinion he gave a much better performance in Gangs, which as far as I'm concerned is a pretty good movie despite Leo. Heard something recently about the way DDL chooses roles, apparently he turns down a lot of them and works one a year or every other year or something like that.

Thought the Oscars went quite well last night, Jon Stewart did a fine job despite little time to prepare because of the strike, cheered out loud when Diablo Cody won best original screenplay for Juno.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 11:01 AM   #3
Trustee

I thought Juno had a primitive script.

If you want to know more about TWBB, you can watch the Charlie Rose interview with Daniel and Paul: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...35234863978982
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 02:29 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Yes, I completely agree with the versatility of DDL acting. His first Oscar was for "My Left Foot" - which is simply amazing. You'd swear he was handicapped watching that film.

Which reminds me of someone else. Long LONG ago, in the middle of the night on cable, I was watching a movie called "Tim" - about a mildly retarded boy who winds up having an affair with his therapist. A fantastic low budget indy Australian film. I was really impressed by how well the 'retarded actor' pulled it off.

Two weeks later, at the movies - I saw him in Mad Max. I still think "Tim" is one of Mel Gibsons' best films. Rent it some time.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 02:35 PM   #5
Inner Circle

It just occured to me, all of the acting Oscars went to 'non-americans' didn't they?

Daniel Day Lewis
Tilda Swinton
Javier Bardem
Marion Cotilliard

Is this the first 'sweep' by foreigners of the Oscars?
Old February 25th, 2008, 02:57 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Alvarez View Post
I still think "Tim" is one of Mel Gibsons' best films.
Funny how that works... in a similar role, I think "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" is one of Leo DiCaprio's best films (not a bad one for Depp either).

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 03:26 PM   #7
Inner Circle

True that, "Gilbert Grape" was one of those funky films, that really showed Depp to his best. And DiCaprio was excellent.
Old February 25th, 2008, 10:41 PM   #8
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
cheered out loud when Diablo Cody won best original screenplay for Juno.
I thought that Tamara Jenkins should have won for "The Savages." Though, I guess when you have Laura Linney and Philip-Seymour Hoffman delivering the lines...
Kris Flugan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark