Beagle Board questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods > Apertus: Open Source Cinema Project
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old June 12th, 2010, 03:01 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Beagle Board questions

what is the cheapest touchscreen that can work in conjuntion with a beagleboard that you guys are working with? and what kind of battery can be used with the beagleboard?
Biel Bestue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2010, 01:23 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Biel

Thanks for the reminder on posting some more info about the viewfinder options.

A quite complete overview of beagleboard options is avaiable here: BeagleBoard - eLinux.org

A new version of the beagleboard called xM has just been released that adds an Ethernet port!
BeagleBoard.org - hardware-xM

Some time ago I ordered an IGEPv2 which is a beagleboard clone and also adds an Ethernet port from: IGEPv2 Board

A very interesting option is the AlwaysInnovating Touchbook: Always Innovating: Introducing the Touch Book which is basically a beagleboard + LCD + touchscreen + battery pack

Liquidware offers a (quite pricey but OLED) beagle board compatible touchsensitive LCD: Liquidware : BeagleTouch and battery pack: Liquidware : BeagleJuice

Unfortunately we currently do not have anyone beside Sean: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/apertus-...et-system.html working on the Linux OS or beagle board based viewfinder solution so there is not much progress to report yet. Yes, this is an invitation :)

Also with the hyped tablet market after the introduction of the ipad new options (not beagleboard based though) are coming and going again almost every day.
Sebastian Pichelhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 01:17 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I' am quite a lot interested in apertus... yet. i'm looking forward to get one with a 35 full frame chip if the price comes down to a rasonable price! (since i'm a 35mm adapter user, i have all the lenses at such size) i'm planing to stay in the 720p range at the moment at 25fps, so i'm waiting you guys to experiment a little bit more... (yeah i'm kind of a bastard :P )

i'm interested in the mchine-vision aplications (i'm thinking on letting the camera read the clapperboard in real time and put all info in a well organized database, and more aplications in the machine-vision field) i'm learning java to at least help with the database... yet the fullframe at 25fps at 720p it's kinda important for me (because of the investent already done with the lenses)
also because i don't know anything of 16mm lenses, I do know that since there are not 16mm still cameras, 16mm means shitty zoom lenses for cctv cams or expensive 16mm primes for pro cine cameras, the best of the two worlds ;) so maybe a more expensive chip on the order of 35mm will be a wiser expenditure for me, also 35mm at 2k (for pixel binning) means more light than 16mm at 2k no?

is there any chip ready for such specs? cause i can't find a reasonable one (maybe not 35FF but 35mm cinema size chip?) because they're insanely expensive... i'm looking at you Dynamax 35 damnit!

ah! also, i'm scared of the rolling shutter in the CMOS chips (because of the problem it adds to the matchmoving in the FX) can anything be done to get global shutter to the CMOS that is in our hands? (i know CMOS doesn't mean forced rolling shutter, i do not know what makes those who design the chips op for rolling shutter, is this because of the way CMOS empties it's memory before the next frame? i've heard there are CMOS that doesn't have rolling shutter)

excuse such desorganized post but i had to vomit my questions all over the place :)
Old July 2nd, 2010, 05:09 PM   #4
Regular Crew

would it be possible to buy now the camera and change in the future parts of it as new inovations are created? what I mean is: does everything get solded or can the camera be assembled without any solding so I can, let say, change the sensor in the future without buying another camera? because then I would buy it so I could start experimenting with it without the worries of the sensor anbd the lenses, just buy stock lenses and "stock" sensor and worry about updates in the future once I know the workflow.
Old July 3rd, 2010, 07:26 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biel Bestue View Post
I' am quite a lot interested in apertus... yet. i'm looking forward to get one with a 35 full frame chip if the price comes down to a rasonable price! (since i'm a 35mm adapter user, i have all the lenses at such size) i'm planing to stay in the 720p range at the moment at 25fps, so i'm waiting you guys to experiment a little bit more... (yeah i'm kind of a bastard :P )

i'm interested in the mchine-vision aplications (i'm thinking on letting the camera read the clapperboard in real time and put all info in a well organized database, and more aplications in the machine-vision field) i'm learning java to at least help with the database... yet the fullframe at 25fps at 720p it's kinda important for me (because of the investent already done with the lenses)
also because i don't know anything of 16mm lenses, I do know that since there are not 16mm still cameras, 16mm means shitty zoom lenses for cctv cams or expensive 16mm primes for pro cine cameras, the best of the two worlds ;) so maybe a more expensive chip on the order of 35mm will be a wiser expenditure for me, also 35mm at 2k (for pixel binning) means more light than 16mm at 2k no?

is there any chip ready for such specs? cause i can't find a reasonable one (maybe not 35FF but 35mm cinema size chip?) because they're insanely expensive... i'm looking at you Dynamax 35 damnit!

ah! also, i'm scared of the rolling shutter in the CMOS chips (because of the problem it adds to the matchmoving in the FX) can anything be done to get global shutter to the CMOS that is in our hands?
I am afraid not, this is the nature of a how a CMOS is manufactured.

Quote:
(i know CMOS doesn't mean forced rolling shutter, i do not know what makes those who design the chips op for rolling shutter, is this because of the way CMOS empties it's memory before the next frame? i've heard there are CMOS that doesn't have rolling shutter)
There are global shutter (snapshot) CMOS sensors but they are pretty rare and as far as I know introduce new problems, like you have to sacrifice a high part of the exposure time for the readout thus drastically reducing light sensitivity.
Quote:

excuse such desorganized post but i had to vomit my questions all over the place :)
You can switch the sensor front-end of the Elphel camera easily without any soldering, check out this video of taking a camera apart:
The sensor front-end is the last part at the very end (you see the flex cable that is just ejected from the system board).

Though Elphel 373 will be released in late 2010 / early 2011 introducing a new systemboard with the same sensor frontend as 353 currenty uses.

So there should be no trouble buying an Elphel 373 once its released and swaping sensor front-ends to the new Kodak CCDs (they are currently the favoured ones but there is still time, maybe we will see even better prodcuts released until then) once they are released by Elphel. The new sensor front-ends will most likely not be compatible with current Elphel 353 cameras though.

And about the lenses: the Kodak CCDs are bigger in sensor area and thus will most likely result in different lens mounts, the 2/3" option might be able to keep the C-mount but the bigger 1" and 4/3" ones just wont be able to fit anymore.
Sebastian Pichelhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2010, 04:15 PM   #6
Regular Crew

if one mounts a 16mm (if I could find an adapter...) in a four thirds sensor, i would see extreme windowing from the lens?

what do you guys think about HDRC sensor?
http://www.fh-jena.de/~endter/Sensor...MOS-Sensor.pdf

i think its low resolution is the one thing that pulls back, but someone might be interested with it's extreme latitude...

and to end i've found that consortium
http://www.hidralon.eu/objectives.htm
that are related to the HDRC sensor
Old July 5th, 2010, 08:11 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biel Bestue View Post
if one mounts a 16mm (if I could find an adapter...) in a four thirds sensor, i would see extreme windowing from the lens?
According to Sensor Sizes: Camera System: Glossary: Learn: Digital Photography Review the 4/3" sensor has the following dimensions: 18x13.5mm and the Super 16mm film has according to 16 mm film - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia the dimensions of 12.5x7.4mm.

So considering you need to use a window of interest on the chip anyway (to crop a 16:9 image and to increase fps (the 8.1MP 4/3" Kodak sensor does only 16 frame per second at full resolution)) using 16mm lenses should be possible.

Quote:
what do you guys think about HDRC sensor?
http://www.fh-jena.de/~endter/Sensor...MOS-Sensor.pdf

i think its low resolution is the one thing that pulls back, but someone might be interested with it's extreme latitude...

and to end i've found that consortium
HiDRaLoN: Objectives
that are related to the HDRC sensor
Sure, HDR sensors are interesting, but we need them with bayer pattern and high resolution and high fps, before they can deliver that in mass production I do not think it makes sense to consider these. The consortium is definitely a step in the right direction but after looking at their website it seems like the project is still in development or planning stages.
Sebastian Pichelhofer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods > Apertus: Open Source Cinema Project