My first test on my DIY GG (Need Help: Grainy-Texture) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old April 13th, 2006, 10:41 AM   #1
Tourist

My first test on my DIY GG (Need Help: Grainy-Texture)

Hi all! I am so interested to get DOF/film look with a DV Camcorder and I was trying to make my own GG these weeks.

Here's my first test shooting(with my "beginner" JVC miniDV, Lens Nikon 50mm F=1.4):

http://www.archive.org/download/mxcv...m_test_031.avi

I have tried different types of materials and methods to make the GG including:
-Using candles wax on UV filters(cos it is really difficult to get Microwax in HK, shop keepers did not understand what I want). The result: very bad.

-Armour Etch on HOYA UV filters, the result is better but the grains are still visible after four to five attempts from leaving untouched->brushed->gently rubbed by naked finger.

-800 to 1200grit Abrasive papers and thin Acrylic Plastic boards and protective CDs but the results is not acceptable cos of scratches.

-Then, I tried to use cheap, UNCOATED glass to make my ground glass with armour etch and the result is the best out of all the materials and methods I used. I rubbed with my finger (I'm lucky I dun have any allergy problems after touching the agent) gently and quickly and the grains are the finest I can get as you see in the video. That cheap glass is a piece of Microscope Slide (72 pcs in a box for only HK$20). It is only 1 -1.2mm thin! So no greenish problem so far.

NOTE: What I found is Cheap glasses performs much better when using Armour Etch compared to UV filters. I think that relates to the Coatings HOYA applied in the factory?

But I urgently need a solution on how to remove the fixed grainy-texture from my video. Sorry, I'm not choosing to make a spinning one. I remember a previous thread linked me to a page and I saw something called "Noise map", but I have no idea how to work with it at all? Please help!

Thank you all! :-)
Marcus Chiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2006, 11:04 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi,
I recommend using 1000 grit aluminium oxide powder, and with a little water, grinding your microscope slide against another peice of glass with the AO/water mixture between the glass. You should get a nice even grind with a finer grain then with the armor etch cream.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods