A slightly different 35mm adapter concept - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old January 25th, 2006, 01:18 PM   #91
Major Player

Ha, I requested samples today. I was looking at some a few weeks ago, but the POC news in the forum was not postive so I didn't bother. It's worth a shot. Now my guess is that a few of commercial guys are sitting back right now and saying "Tried that, waste of time....."
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 01:43 PM   #92
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Wood
Ha, I requested samples today. I was looking at some a few weeks ago, but the POC news in the forum was not postive so I didn't bother. It's worth a shot. Now my guess is that a few of commercial guys are sitting back right now and saying "Tried that, waste of time....."
Hehe, they will wonder if we are serious with all those requests.

I wouldn't be too certain with regard to the commercial guys, many of them are just like us trying out stuff. And I think there is ample opportunity to miss on details like thickness, material (polycarbonate vs. polyester) and diffusion angles. Get one wrong and you may think they all suck. :)

From my own tests, adapter aside, I believe that the screen material I am using at the moment surpasses everything I have seen (except for the Beattie) in terms of light loss. And my previous material was even up there as the smallest grain (but I got a rotational variance in the diffusion that gives bad bokeh). There is a material that already gives both great qualities but its not wide enough. (check out the Alternative screens thread)

Hey, I am an optimist! :)
Alain Bellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 04:08 PM   #93
Major Player

Alain, are you still testing the Office Depot tape?
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2006, 06:46 PM   #94
Major Player

Latest shot at night out my window, porch light. I changed my condenser and got rid of the barreling I was experiencing with my rig. The light loss is about 1 stop maybe? Hard to tell, but definitely better than anything I have used before - home depot bags or anything like that is a great way to go.

http://dvstuff.250free.com/bag.htm
Old January 27th, 2006, 10:32 PM   #95
Regular Crew

leo mandy can u tell me how u apply the bag...do u glue it or something?

also, we don't have home depot here, but would these bags u refer to be the variety that come on a roll where you 'rip' them off for veges?

BTW how do u gauge light loss?
Justin Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2006, 11:35 PM   #96
Major Player

I've found a few bags. One is a trash bag. Not the kind you buy from a grocery store, but the ones a grocery store uses. It's very large and clear. Also, a doughnut shop has these types of bags. They use them to pick up the doughnuts most of the time. The veggie bags are about the same I think but I thought they seemed different to me for some reason. I'm trying this adapter as well and would like to know something. Do you apply these "bags" to a uv filter and make that a "gg" or just use the "bag" alone and add some condesors/macros? This would be helpful.

Rh
Rich Hibner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2006, 09:01 AM   #97
Major Player

Yes, I just glued it to the surface of the CD.
Old January 28th, 2006, 08:48 PM   #98
Inner Circle

In my initial experiments, I tried these shop bags as I had actually used one in a Muray 8/16mm home editor whose stick-on rear projection material had begun to peel off. Mine seemed to add a slight cyan hue but it might have been my imagination. Between two clear CD-R disks I found a flciker similar to the wax so I did not go furthur with them. If there is a better consistency of opqueness and thickness, one should perhaps give them another look.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2006, 12:22 AM   #99
Major Player

So, would you guys consider this concept better for spinning/vibrating or for static?

Rh
Rich Hibner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 04:07 PM   #100
Major Player

A bit off-topic...

Where have you been hiding, Alain? You wrote some of the best trueSpace plugins around. Didn't know for sure if this was the real Alain Bellon or not until I saw that you had some images linked to your old site.

How's tungsten|SOLID coming along?

To get it back on-topic, nice images!

Frank
Frank Ladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 04:16 PM   #101
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Ladner
A bit off-topic...

Where have you been hiding, Alain? You wrote some of the best trueSpace plugins around. Didn't know for sure if this was the real Alain Bellon or not until I saw that you had some images linked to your old site.

How's tungsten|SOLID coming along?

To get it back on-topic, nice images!

Frank
Thank you for your comments. :)

tungsten|SOLID became a suite of 10 stand alone applications. The first one of them is about to be released.
Old February 14th, 2006, 04:17 PM   #102
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Hibner
So, would you guys consider this concept better for spinning/vibrating or for static?

Rh
I have been having good success in a vibrating setup. Leo has used it in a spinning setup. Some bag materials have really small grain so it could be used for static under certain conditions.
Old February 15th, 2006, 01:36 AM   #103
Regular Crew

Additional advantages of vibrating light materials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain Bellon
I have been having good success in a vibrating setup. Leo has used it in a spinning setup. Some bag materials have really small grain so it could be used for static under certain conditions.
I've just written some lines on the propagation of vibrations in 35mm adapters. Alain's low weight bag-approach might have additional advantages allowing lower propagation of vibration in the camera+adapter setup.
see:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....9&postcount=11
Daniel Apollon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2006, 11:31 PM   #104
Regular Crew

Some questions

Also, are there plans for this puppy to be found? The plans for a straight vibrating adaptor no longer exists at the links I found either. Gak!
Finally, the vegetable bag plastic, is it the real clear stuff or the frosted type?
Frank Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2006, 07:13 PM   #105
Regular Crew

I found the Quyen Le plan that Craig Bellaire did for him.
It had moved to:
http://bellaire.homestead.com/files/..._Adaptor_2.pdf

And the question about the plastic bags was admittedly a brain fart from going from one thread to another on these adaptors. Doh!

Last edited by Frank Howard; July 22nd, 2006 at 07:43 PM.
Frank Howard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods