Homemade 35mm Adapter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old November 17th, 2003, 01:45 PM   #1
Major Player

Homemade 35mm Adapter

hello there, for all the "film look" fans... i have some news.. i have been experimenting for a while with a 50mm lens a homemade ground glass, a magnifying glass, and also a Dreamcast video game vibrator accesory...

It works pretty fine.. the image comes from the lens and create the proyection in the ground glass.. which vibrates at high speed.. reducing a lot the grain from the ground glass.. from there i use the magnifying glass to capture more the of the usable part of the projection (you always will get a round shaped bright light coming form the lens) from there i capure it with my cheap TRV18 ....

Open a new world to me in filming that will lead me to create a lot better video with a lot less money.

The optics are great.. as soon as i finish up the box i will post up the plans so anyone that want to give it a shoot could pass all the troubles that i found with no problem.

Note from Chris Hurd: -- If you'd like to read an edited version of this thread which has been condensed down to the technical essentials (free from off-topic posts, meta-data, repeated questions, etc.), then please check it out right here. Continue to post repsonses to this thread, however. Hope this helps -- CH
Agus Casse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2003, 02:15 PM   #2
Major Player

Agus,

Do you have the capabilities or place to post some footage. Can't wait for the plans and to see some examples! Thanks in advance...

Clay
Old November 18th, 2003, 09:22 AM   #3
Major Player

Ok, i have some shoots that i made with the adapter finished... it is all in testing stage at the moment.. but i can ensure you that with less than 30bucks you will get perfect 35mm quality DOF...

http://altoque.tv/test35mm2.mpg

There is another test... it was shoot in the middle of the night with no aditional light....just a test.. the vigneting is caused because of the low quality ground glass...
Old November 18th, 2003, 11:59 AM   #4
Major Player

Cool stuff, Agus. Give us more to watch!

The sample you posted is hard to tell anything from. There are really no references in the image to judge exactly what it is we're watching. I think the best you could do is let something move into focus (like a person or an object).
Old November 19th, 2003, 12:40 AM   #5
Major Player

Ok...

i finish up the adapter.. you cant imagen how awesome optics and DOF i am getting now...

here is a pic of the adapter mounted...

http://altoque.tv/35mmAdapter.jpg

The ground glass rotate at great speed inside so the grain disappear... i will post some footage as soon as i get it to the pc...

I dont the following tests...

focus pulldown, serious DOF density (background really blured), and some movements with the camera and the adapter... another thing is that you can still mount it in a stabilizer and move freely...
Old November 19th, 2003, 05:49 AM   #6
Major Player

looks cool, but I dont really understand how it works...

could we get some more pics?
Old November 19th, 2003, 09:37 AM   #7
Contributor

Agus,

Looks very interesting but it seems like the weight of all of that gear up front is going to sheer off your lens housing on the little video camera. Maybe the next project will have to be a DIY set of rails... ;)

Great work though. Look forward to seeing more examples from it.

Best,
Clayton
Clayton Farr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2003, 03:31 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Why not use the 35 adapter from XL1solutions? It cost a ton less, and you can use 35mm lenses.

http://www.virtualcybervision.com/xl1/red%202.JPG
http://www.virtualcybervision.com/xl1/ADAPTERS.htm
Kevin Maistros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2003, 05:16 PM   #9
Major Player

First, i dont own a XL1 and i dont have the money for it.. i cannot just adapt the lens to my camera, cause it just wont work... i really don tknow how the xl1 works... but that seens really awesome just to adapt the lens to the camera...

i just cant, thats why i have to project the image to a ground glass and then shoot that projection...
Old November 19th, 2003, 05:31 PM   #10
Major Player

Agus,

The XL1 and XL1s have interchangeable lenses. Auto focus lens, manual lens, and a wide angle lens all can be put on the camera. Also, you can use any of the Canon XL and EF 35mm camera lenses allowing you to use lenses from 24 to 2160 mm lens. It is awesome! It works just like you would change a lens on a SLR camera!
Old November 19th, 2003, 05:53 PM   #11
Major Player

Some frames

http://altoque.tv/test35mm2.jpg

and

http://altoque.tv/test35mm.jpg

I have to apologize for the quality of the grain.. but i had low light and the adapter makes you loose a lot of steps of light as well...

i will test it in outdoors soon, as soon as i solve some vibration problems and the optics aint that good now...

These shoots shows the example of shallow DOF like you see first blur, in focus, and blur in the background
Old November 19th, 2003, 06:00 PM   #12
Major Player

http://altoque.tv/test35mm.wmv

There is another test the problem here is that tripod was moving a lot and there is some vibration ... i am still learing to shoot with the adapter.. but i think i will have to make some kind of support so i can tense all the system for now movement at all.
Old November 20th, 2003, 05:24 AM   #13
Major Player

wow even though it was shakey and stuff, i still loved the look of the footage... well done...

when you perfect it, would you post some plans of it... i can have a professional engineer make one up if you do...

kewl

Zac
Zac Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2003, 05:27 AM   #14
Major Player

Agus, the pics you've posted looks very nice, in terms of DOF!

"from there i use the magnifying glass to capture more the of the usable part of the projection " - make sure to capture a 36/24mm image.

Kevin Maistros, the 35 mm adapter from XL1solutions is a different animal! It will let you use a 35mm lens on the XL1, indeed. But it will not preserve the DOF of a 35 mm, like they state on the site...
Old November 20th, 2003, 06:03 AM   #15
Major Player

I like http://altoque.tv/test35mm.wmv. It is very nice. Nice image, nice DOF, nice tripod moving! :) You see, the man in the image seems a bit agitated. This is the mood you have transmited through the litle film. The man is smoking, the image shakes - it seems that the character has some rough time! (could it be the noice from the 35mm adapter? :) )

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods